Noob to Jira and Kanban

Patrick Duda February 21, 2017

Hi,

I have been searching the Answers forum but so far I have not found anything that gives me the guidance I need.  I have been reading some of the Atlassian blogs too but I think I am at a point where I need some specific advice and help.

We currently use JIRA for project tracking for our IT development team.  The problem is that we are also an operation team and deal with day to day issues, bugs and tickets that come in.  Currently, everything is sent to our ticketing system and then a decision is made on whether it is something that stays in a trouble ticket or needs to move to JIRA.  In JIRA we have several projects relating to each system that we work on.

The problem is prioritizing and keeping track of the various tickets and projects. We are suppose to have an outside committee of customers determine what are the highest priority projects and what should be worked on next.  The customer committee does not have access to JIRA.

Add to this new projects are coming in all of the time and new tickets and the priority should be dynamic.

I am thinking a Kanban set up would be ideal.

We could have a list of issues on the board.  Give the customer committee access to prioritize the issues. Then my developers could just look at what ever is at the top of the board and pick that as the next project to work on.

Is that how Kanban works?  Does that make sense?

If this is a stupid question and you have links to threads or articles that answer this, please let me know.

I appreciate the help!

Thanks in advance!!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2017

Nope, it's well thought through and I think you've got the right idea.

A Kanban board probably does suit you well here, they are intended for a simple flow of issues into the project, with prioritisation of the backlog or left-most column, and things move over to the right as you pick them, work on them, fix them and pick up the next.

(Scrum is more for structured "sprints", where work is decided on and committed to in blocks of time.  Doesn't work too well for support, because if something goes bang at the beginning of a sprint, it's supposed to be ignored for a fortnight...)

Suggest an answer