None option for custom select list

Mark DeMichele October 8, 2013

I'm currently using jira 5.0.5. I created a custom field of type select list. I want it to be optional. Thus, I want "empty" to be a valid value. Therefore, I gave it no default value. However, when I put it on a screen, if the user does nothing it seems to automatically select the first item. It has no option for "None". I searched online and people mention a "none" option, but I'm not seeing it. Is this something in a newer version of Jira or am I missing something?

3 answers

1 vote
Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2013

I think you made the field as Required while configuring the field. You go to the customfield in field configuration and select as Optional. Then you will see the None option.

Hope this helps and if any doubt ask me back.

0 votes
Mark DeMichele October 15, 2013

Turns out the reason there was no option for None is that in my instance of Jira, the edit-select.vm file did not have the option for None. I'm not sure if someone changed this in the past or that's how it is in Jira version 5.0.5.

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2013

some possible ways to remove None option from select list

1. some one might be removed None from Vm field ,check this document

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA052/How+to+Remove+%27NONE%27+from+a+Select+List+Custom+Field

2. As @Bharadwaj said

None will be removed if field is make required through field configuration and set deafult value for that

3. there is a chance to remove None using javascript

Suggest an answer