Non-ASCII Confluence page titles shown garbled in JIRA

cweiske October 24, 2017

When linking to a confluence page from a Jira issue, the confluence page title is shown in "Issue links". When the page title has Non-ASCII characters (UTF-8), Jira shows them as two question marks:

Entit��ten

I've read JIRA Application internationalisation and encoding troubleshooting and the settings are all correct.

Versions: Jira 7.3.3, Confluence 6.1.2

There are no encoding related switches in the application link settings in Jira and Confluence that I could adjust.

1 answer

0 votes
Marko Filipan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2017

Hi cweiske,

I understood that you already did all the steps according to the guide you linked above (including starting JIRA with additional parameters).

In order for us to confirm that UTF-8 encoding is actually in effect, I'm kindly ask you to do following steps and provide us some output in the end:

1. Create Support ZIP file from your JIRA instance:
    - Click on JIRA Administration wheel > System.
    - Click on Support Tools inside Troubleshooting and Support section. 
    - Select tab Create support zip
    - Deselect all except Application properties checkbox
    - Click Create button
    - After your zip file has been created, you can download it on that current page.
  2. Open ZIP and extract application-properties folder
  3. Open application.xml file
  4. Find the following lines in the application.xml file and paste them here (they could have different value inside the XML tags, search the file by parameter name instead):

<sun.jnu.encoding>UTF-8</sun.jnu.encoding>
    <file.encoding>UTF-8</file.encoding>
    <System-Encoding>UTF-8</System-Encoding>
    <webwork.i18n.encoding>UTF-8</webwork.i18n.encoding>

Thanks and regards,

Marko

Suggest an answer