No summary field in JIRA

John Galt August 27, 2013

Hello,

It has been a few days I am evaluating JIRA and other Atlassian tools and I am encountering a big issue with JIRA. Indeed, I try to create an "issue" but only a few fields appear, not all defaults ones, neither the summary.

I have tried to disable all add-ons by entering the safe mode, reboot JIRA, reboot the hosting machine and reset all fields to default (even if no custom field was created) but I am still faced to the same problem.

I have enclosed a screen capture of the "Creat Issue" sub-window if this can helps.

Thanks for everything.

Regards,

John

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2013

Have a look at the "configure fields" drop-down you've included in your screen shot first, you may have set it to hide fields (click "all" if you are offered it)

If it's not that, then you've got your "screens" wrong - as an admin, go to the project level, and look for "issue type screen scheme" (which says "issue type X uses screen scheme Y"), descend into that to find the "screen scheme" for Bug and descend into that to find the screens it is using. Make sure "summary" is one of the fields on that screen assigned to "create"

(Yes, this is hideously confusing, there's a lot of it. It's very powerful, but that does scare new admins. And experienced ones, I still find myself trying to avoid picking up the "I can't find field on my screen" support calls...)

John Galt August 27, 2013

Thank you Nic ! That was indeed hideoulsy confusing but very efficient !

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2013

First, click on Configure fields and see if you have selected "Summary" or not.

If that doesn't work, check the screens used by the issuetype and project and make sure the field is on the screen. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Screen for more details.

Suggest an answer