No strikeout of issues after they are resolved

David Mudge March 16, 2014

I do not see the identifier of my issues (e.g. ABC-123) being struck out after they are resolved.

My understanding is that the strikethrough should happen to all issues which have a non-empty "Resolution" and to none of the issues where the Resolution field is empty. However I get no strikethrough, no matter what I do to the Resolution field.

Is there something else which determines whether the identifier is struck through?

Thanks.

11 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Dave C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 2, 2014

Issues will appear as a strikethrough when they have a resolution. It's possible for an issue to enter a 'Done' or 'Resolved' or 'Closed' status but not have a resolution - this is entirely dependent upon the workflow configuration. Also as we can see it's possible to have a resolution of 'Unresolved', which is actually a resolution value rather than a null (or empty).

As for issues appearing in the issue navigator, they will not ever be shown as a strike through - this is only applied if the issue is mentioned in comments that use the 'Wiki Style Renderer' as detailed in https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Renderers.

So to clarify:

• JIRA Agile issues will show as a strikethrough when they have a resolution.
  • The issue navigator will not strikethrough issues.
  • Issues in comments will have a strikethrough if JIRA can determine they have a resolution.
Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2016

As a note, I performed a formative usability test on our numerous JIRA changes (and achieving certain goals within JIRA itself to see what we could improve w/ add-ons), and found that often users developed a mental model from their Boards that all closed/resolved issues should appear crossed out / strikethrough.  However, immediately following that they went to the Issue Navigator and were trying to filter by resolved issues and they kept thinking they were doing something wrong / getting the wrong results because all issues displayed were not struck through.  This caused a disconnect in what they expected to see when glancing at a list of issues in distinguishing closed vs open.  

2 votes

No, I have not modified the code.

I believe I am looking at the right field, because up until recently, I had many tasks with strike-through. It turned out that one of the possible values of Resolution in my system was "Unresolved" - i.e. not "this field is empty" rather a string value of "Unresolved". I followed this conversation to figure that out (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/162136/tasks-crossed-off) and then removed Unresolved as a possible value of the Resolution.

I also had to play around with my Workflows a little, because to remove "Unresolved" as a value, I was sked to nominate another value to set it to - not really helping. So I made a transition in the workflow which had the same source and destination Status, but cleared the Resolution value as a post-function. All that worked fine with the end result that I had cleared Resolution and it was now showing Unresolved, but a true"the Resolution is empty" this time.

Hope all that makes sense.

I include this rather long explanation as possibly this has something to do with my current problem? Since I did that I have not seen strikethroughs in the Issue Navigator.

Another interesting thing I just saw - for some issues even though I see no strikethrough on the Issue Navigator, I do see a strikethrough on the System Dashboard (e.g. in the Activity Stream after I close them).

Moriah Chandler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2014

I too am missing strikethrough in the Issue Navigator. It works in JIRA Agile though.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2014

If it works in Agile and not in the issue navigator, then you've probably got customised code.

However, you should first check the resolutions are set or not, and you don't have broken resolutions like "unresolved" or "not done"

Moriah Chandler
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 2, 2014

They are set. The reason I know is that if it is truly Unresolved, that word appears in Italics. Any insertion of a resolution is not in italics. (See below)

Custom code for the display? No way. The only thing I have customized (I am the only administrator) are the notification emails. I have custom workflows, yes - but these all set the resolution on Fixed/Closed transition.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2014

Hmm, now that's an interesting one. You've got stuff set up correctly as far as I can tell from what you've said (which is pretty detailed).

So, just to confirm, you go into the navigator and pick out an issue which definitely has a resolution set when you go into the issue view, but the issue-id is not struck out?

Moriah Chandler
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 2, 2014

Correct. The issue MOSER-79 on the issue navigator....

And on the Agile board...

Moriah Chandler
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 2, 2014
This is on JIRA 6.0.6 btw. Using the latest Agile.
Wayne September 3, 2020

I also saw this issue. I fixed it based on David Mudge's answer by modifying the flow to 'Done' from the state that did not have the Resolution field set as a post function by adding the post function to set the Resolution to 'Done'.

0 votes
Max Deinko February 13, 2019

If you created a custom workflow for your project you will need to follow the steps outlined in the link below to have your "done" issue identifiers crossed off in plan mode.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/jira-issues-need-a-resolution-826873869.html

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Jeffrey O'Hara November 23, 2020

Thanks Max...This Worked!!!

0 votes
Deleted user May 21, 2015

This is how it works for me in JIRA Agile 6.70...

When an issue receives a Resolution, the strikethrough never appears in the issue navigator, nor in JIRA Agile sprint reports. It only appears struckthrough if the issue is on the JIRA Agile Backlog board in an active sprint. This is true regardless of who it was assigned to when closed and resolution set.

Closing and setting resolution for an issue in the backlog removes it from the backlog list on the Agile Backlog board. However, if you edit the issue and put it back in the current active sprint, then it will show on the board as struckthrough.

0 votes
Dave Merriwether October 23, 2014

We saw this worked when the "assignee" resolved the ticket, but not when someone else did.  If the assignee resolves it, strike-through.  Otherwise, no strikethrough.

Apparently this shows how to make it work as it is working for us now: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILEKB/Unable+to+set+issues+to+Resolved+using+JIRA+Agile+Simplified+Workflow

0 votes
docksteaderluke September 2, 2014

I have this same issue. No custom code/CSS. Just custom workflows.

0 votes
Jeanne Howe
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 10, 2014

Has anyone found a resolution? I have the same problem - resolved issues are not showing strikethrough in the issue navigator or on the issue view screen.

0 votes
David Mudge April 2, 2014

BTW, I still have the issue too. There are no strikeouts whatsoever in Jira Issue Navigator. But Jira Agile shows the strikeouts as expected.

I also know the code is not modified, as I am the sole admin of a 5 person project, which only began using Atlassian tools a couple of months ago.

David Mudge April 2, 2014

I'm on Jira 6.0.7

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2014

Have you any customisations in the code? (Specifically, the last time this came up, someone had changed the css to deliberately remove the strikethrough - obviously quite dumb as they'd not educated the users about the downgrade).

Also, you are definitely looking at the *system* resolution field? Not a custom field with the same name?

0 votes

Yes, the values are shown on the UI and vary but they are things like Done, Fixed, etc.

0 votes
Nazia Tarannum
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2014

Do you see a value for the Resolution field on the UI for the issue?

Suggest an answer