I do not see the identifier of my issues (e.g. ABC-123) being struck out after they are resolved.
My understanding is that the strikethrough should happen to all issues which have a non-empty "Resolution" and to none of the issues where the Resolution field is empty. However I get no strikethrough, no matter what I do to the Resolution field.
Is there something else which determines whether the identifier is struck through?
Issues will appear as a strikethrough when they have a resolution. It's possible for an issue to enter a 'Done' or 'Resolved' or 'Closed' status but not have a resolution - this is entirely dependent upon the workflow configuration. Also as we can see it's possible to have a resolution of 'Unresolved', which is actually a resolution value rather than a null (or empty).
As for issues appearing in the issue navigator, they will not ever be shown as a strike through - this is only applied if the issue is mentioned in comments that use the 'Wiki Style Renderer' as detailed in https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Renderers.
So to clarify:
As a note, I performed a formative usability test on our numerous JIRA changes (and achieving certain goals within JIRA itself to see what we could improve w/ add-ons), and found that often users developed a mental model from their Boards that all closed/resolved issues should appear crossed out / strikethrough. However, immediately following that they went to the Issue Navigator and were trying to filter by resolved issues and they kept thinking they were doing something wrong / getting the wrong results because all issues displayed were not struck through. This caused a disconnect in what they expected to see when glancing at a list of issues in distinguishing closed vs open.
No, I have not modified the code.
I believe I am looking at the right field, because up until recently, I had many tasks with strike-through. It turned out that one of the possible values of Resolution in my system was "Unresolved" - i.e. not "this field is empty" rather a string value of "Unresolved". I followed this conversation to figure that out (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/162136/tasks-crossed-off) and then removed Unresolved as a possible value of the Resolution.
I also had to play around with my Workflows a little, because to remove "Unresolved" as a value, I was sked to nominate another value to set it to - not really helping. So I made a transition in the workflow which had the same source and destination Status, but cleared the Resolution value as a post-function. All that worked fine with the end result that I had cleared Resolution and it was now showing Unresolved, but a true"the Resolution is empty" this time.
Hope all that makes sense.
I include this rather long explanation as possibly this has something to do with my current problem? Since I did that I have not seen strikethroughs in the Issue Navigator.
Another interesting thing I just saw - for some issues even though I see no strikethrough on the Issue Navigator, I do see a strikethrough on the System Dashboard (e.g. in the Activity Stream after I close them).
They are set. The reason I know is that if it is truly Unresolved, that word appears in Italics. Any insertion of a resolution is not in italics. (See below)
Custom code for the display? No way. The only thing I have customized (I am the only administrator) are the notification emails. I have custom workflows, yes - but these all set the resolution on Fixed/Closed transition.
Hmm, now that's an interesting one. You've got stuff set up correctly as far as I can tell from what you've said (which is pretty detailed).
So, just to confirm, you go into the navigator and pick out an issue which definitely has a resolution set when you go into the issue view, but the issue-id is not struck out?
Have you any customisations in the code? (Specifically, the last time this came up, someone had changed the css to deliberately remove the strikethrough - obviously quite dumb as they'd not educated the users about the downgrade).
Also, you are definitely looking at the *system* resolution field? Not a custom field with the same name?
BTW, I still have the issue too. There are no strikeouts whatsoever in Jira Issue Navigator. But Jira Agile shows the strikeouts as expected.
I also know the code is not modified, as I am the sole admin of a 5 person project, which only began using Atlassian tools a couple of months ago.
We saw this worked when the "assignee" resolved the ticket, but not when someone else did. If the assignee resolves it, strike-through. Otherwise, no strikethrough.
Apparently this shows how to make it work as it is working for us now: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILEKB/Unable+to+set+issues+to+Resolved+using+JIRA+Agile+Simplified+Workflow
This is how it works for me in JIRA Agile 6.70...
When an issue receives a Resolution, the strikethrough never appears in the issue navigator, nor in JIRA Agile sprint reports. It only appears struckthrough if the issue is on the JIRA Agile Backlog board in an active sprint. This is true regardless of who it was assigned to when closed and resolution set.
Closing and setting resolution for an issue in the backlog removes it from the backlog list on the Agile Backlog board. However, if you edit the issue and put it back in the current active sprint, then it will show on the board as struckthrough.
Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs