No story point input (or estimate)

Justin Hamilton March 4, 2014

I was playing around with a sample scrum board & project. I see some tasks have story points that can be edited when in plan mode. But others do not. And they don't even have a field to display/update the story points.

How can I get the "estimate" field to always display on new issues/tasks?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Luther Hargrove
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2014

I would first check to see if they are different issue types. Some fields are only going to be displayed to certain issue types. You can configure this in the custom field configuration or the issue type screen scheme.

Justin Hamilton March 5, 2014

I did look in the custome field configuration and didn't see that as an option. I'll look into issue type screen scheme. Not sure if I'm familiar with that yet.

Justin Hamilton March 5, 2014

Didn't see anything in the issue type screen scheme that prevented story points from being displayed

Jeff Atwood April 12, 2016

did you ever find a solution for this? I am also playing around with this system. I create "stories" and associate "estimates" for them. Then i create "tasks" for a given story, but can not input estimates for those tasks. This doesn't make sense for me. What if certain tasks (that belong to a story) are scheduled for Sprint 1 and others for Sprint 2. Where would I see the estimate for the individual sprints?

0 votes
Effie Sharon Sinena October 16, 2018

Go to Project Settings > Features, and then enable Estimation.

Estimation JIRA.jpg

Suggest an answer