• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

No results on kanban board after amending default filter query

Hi I have one project and thress pahses in it, so want 3 boards (Kanban)

My default filter is project = JE

I have tried to seperate some of the epiucs and using epics as swimlanes using this

project = JE AND "Epic Link" in (JE-14, JE-25) ORDER BY Rank ASC

The query shows on submit, but as soon as I go back to the board nothing,.

I have checked subtasks and removed the filter.

Any thoughts?

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Community Leader Dec 17, 2020

Hi Gerry! So are you trying to have a board per phase? If so what defines your phases? You mention Epics are your phases associated to an epic?

Basically, if you want three boards that display each phase then you simply need to define the underlying filter that results in the desired list of issues. For example if indeed each phase is an epic...

board1 - epic link = xxx

board2 - epic link = yyy

board3 - epic link = zzz

However, if you are using next-gen "epic link" does not exist/apply.

I also note that you seem to be saying (?) that when you run the query the results are as desired but the board is not showing the same. Is that so? If so, please provide screenshot of the board filter and any sub-filter and also check the swimlane settings.

Jack thank you. I'm using cloud not next-gen, so you're aware (and fairly new to this!)

I've several epis per phase, so we're using to track end of distinct contractual phases and outputs (more traditional PM than a software implementation) I'm assuming that I can have multiple epics per board

board 1 - epic link = Je01 AND Je01 for example

Thanks

To be clear NG is a project type w/in Cloud.

multiple epics associated to a board - yes absolutely.

The first thing to understand about boards is that they are fundamentally visual representations of a DB query. Now there is more to boards for sure but what they display is driven by the underlying filter which is what you are currently trying to figure out.

My best advice at this point is to start by going to the Advance search for issues and construct a filter and tweak until the results capture what you want to see on a board. Then save the filter so that you can create a board from that filter. Once you have this done you can play w/ the display of the boards using swimlanes, ranking columns and status mapping, quick filters, etc.

Like Gerry Bolger likes this

Ian, making slow but positive progress, the EPIC filtration is working, so I've managed to get the filters down to the number per phase, and they are showin gin the Kanban board. BUT as soon as I assign an Epic swimlane, they vanish. Any thoughts?

This is my filter project = JE AND "Epic Link" in (JE-25, JE-14)

please try this...

project = JE AND "Epic Link" in (JE-25, JE-14) or issuekey in (JE-25, JE-14)

Jack

Thanks for your input, hugely appreciated, alas, computer says no:

Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 09.06.18.png

Jack Community Leader Dec 18, 2020

Is “project =“ missing from the front? You might wish to switch to Basic mode of you are not yet comfortable with advanced JQL. There are some things you can’t accomplish in basic but for this JQL that isn’t the case (yet).

Jack, thanks, I can confirm Project name is included  I've even tried this:

project = JE AND issuetype in (standardIssueTypes(), subTaskIssueTypes()) AND "Epic Link" in (JE-25, JE-14)

No joy!

Let’s reset. Please copy and paste  your full JQL here. In the previous image you definitely were missing project =. Look at the error. It said “line 1, character 4) which equates to the letter “A” in the word AND. 

Jack - agree

Here is the currtent (working) JQL - which is working when a swimlane is filtered by assignee, but not working when swimlane is changed to an EPIC.

Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 14.27.41.png

A few thoughts:

I thought reindexing might work, but see thats now gone.

Secondly, you may recall, you commented on colour of cards - I have given up on that as that JQL isn;t working either, so I am wondering is there 'something' in the backend not right?

Gerry, I'm getting a bit lost here. I don't understand the use of standardissuetypes() and subtaskissuetypes(). Sorry I expect it is me not paying close enough attention. 

I would like to go back and have you restate your precise goal as I am no longer sure. Can you state your something like this...

I wish to create a board that will display all issues that match xxxxx. Further I would like the board to present the data in this way zzzzz.

or whatever makes sense here.

regarding the card color, I expect you are talking about another post I comment on. Point me to that link and I can reengage separately there. I doubt very seriously there is something wrong w/ your specific instance or at least I would not conclude that at this point.

Jack - apologies if I'm confusing. What I want is:

I want my kanban board to show 2 eprics from a list of 8, with the swimlanes as epics.

It was working until i seperated out 2 epics. using JQL -

project = JE AND "Epic Link" in (JE-25, JE-14) or issuekey in (JE-25, JE-14)

which works when you put it in the JQL, but as soon as you go back to the board and apply swimlanes as epics it does not. It does woerk if swimlanes are by assignee.

The reason I changed the JQL to include the subtaks etc was to try *anything* that would work.

My reference to card (which you commented on) was an observation, I have noted that JQL provided by folk on here which *should* work are not, I am wondering is there something going on behind the scenes.

Again much appreciated

G

Jack Community Leader Dec 18, 2020 • edited

Thanks Gerry. So here is a test I just did. Note I did this on Scrum but should work for kanban too.

Here is my filter below. You will want to ensure that you are using the epic name when using for the epic link w/in JQL. You will also need to ensure you are including Epics in the filter otherwise you will not be able to swimlane by epic. This will be obvious if your backlog displays epics in the epic pop-out when clicked. Also, please note the use of "()" in the filter following the project = test AND....

board filter.png

Doing the above I was able to set Swimlanes by epic w/ the below results.

swimlanes by epic.png

Jack

You've given a hiuge am ount to time to this, but it's not working, so I'll abandon the approach. For info, this is what I get:

Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 14.17.46.png

This shouldn't be this difficult in my opinion, and appreciate you helping.

have a nice christmas, or whatever you're doing and stay safe

Best wishes

Gerry

Jack Community Leader Dec 21, 2020

Gerry,

No problem, glad to assist.

you need to not copy my example but rather simply build your own. For example, I see you have your Epic Links using part of my epic link name, e.g. " - epic sum up". That is simply the name of my Epic in my test example. You need to go to each epic that you want to include and find the Epic Name which will be the Epic Link in the child issue. Also please understand that Epic Name and Epic Link are not the same as the Epic's issuekey (e.g. JE-14) unless in fact you actually named your epics  that way. 

Here is a syntax example where you need to replace your details where bold italics are shown...

project = "Jersey EPR" AND ("Epic Link" in (epic-link1, epic-link2, epic-link3, epic-link4) or type = Epic)

you can add as many epic links in the parenthesis as you want just separate by commas. Also not that anytime you have a multi-word (separated by spaces) term that is when you have to use "" around the terms. This is why Epic link has to be in quotes. So lets say i have these epic names that I wish to include: Rebuild UI, Replace DB, Performance Improvements. Then my above syntax would translate to the below...

project = "Jersey EPR" AND ("Epic Link" in ("Rebuild UI", "Replace DBBB", "Performance Improvements") or type = Epic)

Hope this helps.

One last comment, if you get syntax errors look closely at what it is saying as it will tell you the precise character where the error exists which often will help you resolve.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you