No emailAddress in response to JIRA API '/myself' and GET '/user' endpoints

Irena Shemesh February 16, 2017

Hello,

I am working on a Cloud JIRA add-on, we have encountered a case when JIRA user does not have an email associated with him in his profile. Since the add-on relies on user email for correct operation, it is problematic. 
The response to REST API '/myself' and '/user' endpoints does not contain emailAddress field.
User profile page does not have email field as well (it is not empty, the field is not displayed), although when user selects to edit his profile page, the edit popup has an email field and it contains a valid email.
Also, when the user page is viewed under User Management, email field is displayed and contains valid email.
Based on the above, user email seems to be set but is not available in user profile and is not returned in JIRA REST API endpoints.
Questions: 
1. Is there other API endpoint that can be used to retrieve user email for correct add-on operation in this case? This would allow resolving the issue programatically.
2. Is there anything user can do to set email in his profile so will be returned in the endpoints.
User logs in to JIRA using Google's Single Sign On for Atlassian Cloud. 

Please let me know if additional information is required to resolve this issue.
Thank you.
Irena Shemesh

1 answer

0 votes
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2017

Hey Irena,

Can you check Global Admin > General Settings for e-mail visibility settings?  It's most likely set to hidden which can cause this I think:

Edit JIRA Configuration - JIRA 2017-02-22 08-10-14.png

I don't think there's much the individual user can do in this case.  A global admin would have to change visibility.

Cheers,

Andreas

Irena Shemesh February 22, 2017

Hi Andreas, thank you for the information! Think this is the source of the problem we saw.

Suggest an answer