No close issue button

Eric de Vries May 1, 2014

I have created the group "projectmanagers" but somehow users of this group don't see the "close issue" button and are therefore unable to close issues.
I am using a copy of the default Jira workflow but it's unclear to me what I should change to make this button appear in their interface. (I have adjusted the permission scheme: the group Projectmanagers have the right to close an issue) Can you please advise?

3 answers

4 votes
Kevin Krumwiede June 1, 2015

Issues like this are precisely why JIRA cannot be taken seriously.  The complexity of its configuration might be acceptable and even valuable for a massive project with a full-time JIRA administrator.  But for everyone else, it's massive overkill.  And it's ridiculous that the out-of-the-box configuration is completely unusable.

Add this to the bizarre and inconsistent UI, and it's just too much.  Goodbye, Jira... and good riddance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2015

You can't have it both ways. If you want the flexibility JIRA offers, you have to be able to set it up, and that means complex administration. As for the out-of-the box config being unusable, that suggests you've not even tried. It works, and it's simple.

Jim Tivy September 6, 2019

Jira seems to show categories as Status but when I go to add a new Status it has all these Status names - like Closed - which I want.  How do I close

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2019

You don't say what "category" you mean - there are two different uses of that word in Jira-speak.  But neither of them matter to "how do I close"

To close an issue, use a transition that takes it into a closed status.  You'll need to check your workflow to see what you can and can't do from the current status.

0 votes
Eric de Vries May 7, 2014

@Nic BroughThank you for your answer. I agree and think the problem is based somewhere in the 'workflow' configuration. However I have not been able to find a solution yet. As a temporary solution I have added the users to the developers group, where they can close issues but that of course won't do for the long term solution.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2014

Look at the transition in the workflow - check what the "conditions" say.

I suspect it's more complex than just "users must have close-issue permission" - it might have "and users must have resolve-issue permission" tacked on to it as well

Suggest an answer