No Resolution showing up

Tandra Nichols November 19, 2021

I have tried everything and in JIRA within the ticket there is no space showing up for resolution as to if we wont do, close, duplicate and etc.

4 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2021

Hi @Tandra Nichols welcome on the community. What do you mean exactly?

1. you can't fill it in?
  2. you set the value but you can't see it on the issue?

THank you

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2021

If you need to fill it in, you need to setup transition screen to your transition to Done status. The screen should be configured already and should be called as Resolve Issue Screen.

Community Leader
Community Leader
November 21, 2021

Hi @Tandra Nichols , you need to adjust your screen configuration.

• go to project settings
    • Selection_462.png
  • go to Screens
  • open your screens configuration, for example:
    • Selection_463.png
  • Scroll down and you can see Select Field field. Add Resolution field here.
Like # people like this
Tandra Nichols November 22, 2021

@Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ I want to 1st say Thanks you so much! 

2. This helped as instead of deleting a user story we can change to one of these statuses.

3. When a user story is placed in ready for production or done is there a way to automatically change the story to a resolved status or will I have to do this for every story?

Community Leader
Community Leader
November 23, 2021

HI @Tandra Nichols , you can adjust your workflow and configure "Set resolution to Done" to every transition to your Done (green) status(es). It is always great to set "Clear the resolution field" when reopening the story :)

Selection_468.pngSelection_469.pngSelection_470.pngSelection_471.pngSelection_472.pngSelection_473.png

Selection_475.pngSelection_476.png

Selection_476.png

Like Anna Dziubańska likes this
Jason Wigle
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 31, 2022

Thank you, @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ ! I've been at this for hours and finally phrased my google search in such a way as to find your post. 

I can now see/access the resolution field. Ty!!!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2021

Are you working with a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project? A Busines/Work Management, Software, or Service Management project?'

Tandra Nichols November 21, 2021

I'm working on a company managed project, for the 2nd part how would I know?

Tandra Nichols November 21, 2021

See screen shot there is not an area on screen where to close a story comes up, no close do to won't do, duplicate or anything.resolve.docx.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 22, 2021

For the second part, the type of project appears in the navigation pane on the left below the project name at the top. In your case, you are working with a Software project.

For "closing" an issue, you would do that by changing its Status. You can do that if you are viewing the issue in a Board by dragging the card to a new column. When you are looking at issue details, as you are in the image you shared, you change the status by clicking on the pull down list where you currently see "Ready for Production". That is the Status field for the issue, and pulling down on that will show you the other statuses to which you could set the issue. When an issue is "resolved", the value of the Resolution field will display to the right of that Status pull down.

Statuses are grouped into three categories - To Do, In Progress, and Done. These are denoted by colors. Statuses that show up as green are in the "Done" group. The status "Ready for Production" in your image is one that is part of the "Done" Status Category.

The Resolution field must be set as part of the workflow transition for each status in the "Done" Status Category. When new "done" statuses are added to your workflow through customization, Jira does not automatically add setting the Resolution field to the transitions to those new statuses. Your Jira Administrator will need to modify your workflow so that the Resolution field is being set in each transition to a "done" status, and make sure that field is also being cleared on each transition to a "to do" or "in progress" status. This would be done in the Post Functions part of the workflow transitions. Refer to

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/work-with-issue-workflows/

If you want to be able to select a specific value for the Resolution status, then you need to create a screen that includes that field and attach that screen to each transition to a "done" status in your workflow. That is another change that would be done by your Jira Administrator. Refer to

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/manage-issue-screens/

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/map-a-screen-to-a-workflow-transition-in-jira-server-720634253.html

And, lastly, your Jira Administrator may need to modify the list of available Resolution values in order for you to have choices from which to select for the Resolution field. Refer to these documents for more information:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/best-practices-on-using-the-resolution-field-968660796.html

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-statuses-resolutions-and-priorities/

Tandra Nichols November 22, 2021

@Trudy Claspill Hello Trudy, thanks for the synopsis, at this point I am the administrator LOL. In the past I have just used Jira, but not to this extent of creating the workflow and etc. I will continue to read through the resources you provided and see what I can do. 

Thanks again.

0 votes
Tandra Nichols November 30, 2021

@Trudy Claspill it appears I have the same post function mentioned. I don't know what else the issue could be as with creating a new user story it automatically sets to done in the resolution part. 

to do screen shot.png

0 votes
Tandra Nichols November 29, 2021

When I went though the steps now even when creating a new user story automatically get set to done. This is the workflow and under it is the newly created user story that automatically gets set to done. Is there a way to stop this from happening?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2021

Can you show us an image of your workflow diagram? Here is an example from my system.

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 2.45.44 PM.png

The transition I am pointing at with the red arrow, the one between the unlabeled grey circle and the To Do status, is the transition that executes when an issue is created.

If your newly created issues are not ending up in the status pointed to by that transition in your workflow that could indicate there is an automation rule that is automatically changing the Status. Look at the History for the issue and review there the information about how the Status is getting updated and share that with us.

When you updated the Post Function in your workflow to set the Resolution, which of the transitions did you update? You would want to update the transitions that pointed to "green" statuses to set that field. For the transitions that point to grey and blue statuses you would need to set up the Post Function to Clear the field.

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 2.53.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 2.53.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-29 at 2.52.12 PM.png

Tandra Nichols November 30, 2021

@Trudy Claspill it appears I have the same post function mentioned. I don't know what else the issue could be as with creating a new user story it automatically sets to done in the resolution part. 

to do screen shot.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2021

Hello @Tandra Nichols 

I think we need to back up a bit to figure out what you have vs. what you want to have.

Do you want to have choices for the value of Resolution (i.e. Completed, Won't Do, Duplicate)? Setting Resolution is separate from setting Status. Status values are the ones you see in the Workflow Diagram. If you want multiple choices for Resolution you must first define those for your instance. That list is one that will be available to all Company Managed projects. A Jira Administrator would define the value choices here:

https://<yourJiraUrl>/secure/admin/ViewResolutions.jspa

Now, assuming you want to have multiple choices, and you have defined the possible values in the screen I psuedo-linked above, you will have to add the field to screens that will display only when you want to set that field.

When that field is on a screen, you will be required to fill in a value. Jira considers an issue to be Resolved (for reporting purposes) if that field is filled in and Unresolved if that field is empty, regardless of the Status of the issue.

You DON'T want that field included in the screen in your Screen Scheme. If it is on the screen used to Create an Issue, or Edit an Issue, or View an Issue, then when you do any of those activities you will be required to fill in the field, and then Jira will consider the issue resolved. So, go back to the screens in your Screen Scheme and remove that field.

Typically, people want to set that value only when an issue is transitioned to one of the Statuses that belongs to the Done Status Category. Those are the Statuses that show up as green in your workflow diagram. 

To support that, a Jira Administrator needs to go to the instance settings (the gear icon) and select Issues, then select Screens. This is where a screen would be made to display the Resolution field and any other fields you would want to edit when transitioning an issue to one of the Done statuses. You may find that such a screen already exists. You can search for it by searching for "resolve issue screen" and looking to see if there is one where the name starts with the Project Key for your project. Or you can just create a new one.

Once you have that screen created, you want to attach it to the Transitions in the workflow where you want to set Resolution. Those are typically just the "done" statuses. In my image, I am pointing at the transitions with red arrows. You'll select each of those transitions and then clidk the Edit button I've labeled with "2" in my image.

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 3.05.41 PM.png

In the next screen you will need to select the screen you created to which you added the Resolution field, then save that change.

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 3.08.38 PM.png

For each of those transitions, in the Post Functions section remove the function that is setting the Resolution field. Keeping that function would override whatever was selected by the user in the screen.

After updating each transition, publish the workflow.

At that point,

1. the Resolution field should remain empty when you are creating new issues

2. you will not be able to change the Resolution value when viewing/editing and issue

3. Only when transitioning the issue to one of the statuses where you attached the screen to the transition will you be able to set the Resolution field to the value of your choice.

4. If you transition the issue to one of the "not done" statuses, the Post Function in each of those transitions that clears the Resolution field should actually clear the field during those transitions.

Like Özge Kavas likes this
gmichalopoulos May 11, 2024

I have NEVER been more frustrated in my life with a software. Jira sucks big time. 

This should have been easiest thing to set up (not to mention be done automatically). 

I am struggling to get this to work. I set up everything as I am supposed to set up but the resolution field remains empty or I never get a chance to set this up. No matter WHAT i have tried, (from setting up automations, transitions starting from scratch) ALL failed! 

This is the stupidest and most cumbersome software I have EVER used in my entire life. Even the smallest task of finding the workflow and editing it is super difficult. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2024

Hello @gmichalopoulos 

Given that this post is over 2 years old your addition to it is being seen by only by the original post author and the people who responded to it. In addition the products can have changed significantly in that time, and may not match instructions provided here.

If you do, in fact, want assistance, to get maximum visibility on your request for help I recommend that you start a brand new Question. If this post is relevant then include a link to it.

Let us know your deployment type;Cloud or self-hosted. Let us know the type of project; find that info in the Type column on the View All Projects page under the Projects menu.

Show us your workflow diagram. Show us the details of the Post Functions of each Transition.

Tell us the transitions you are executing that aren't working as you expect, detailing your expectations and what is actually happening.

We are eager to help you.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events