No Estimation Field on New Scrum Boards

We've been using Greenhopper for a very long time. Our current Jira instance has many GH Classic Boards from before they were even considered classic. We're now trying to test rapid boards for moving from Classic, but we've found that there is no way to add estimates to issues, no matter how the project is created. Even if we start from scratch by creating a board and project together under the Scrum tab, there is no estimation field for story points, only time. We did a quick parallel install of Jira 5.2 and GH 6.1 and things came up just as expected. Any idea how we can get projects working with GH without doing a separate install of Jira?

FWIW, we're currently running GH 6.1.2 on Jira 5.0.6.

3 answers

1 accepted

I went in an added a new Story Points custom field and tied it to a new Story issue type, added that to a new Agile Issue Type Scheme, and tied that ITS to the project in which I was testing the Scrum board. I can now add story point estimates to the project.

Maybe I could rename the User Story issue type to Story for the same result, since the User Story issue already has a Story Points custom field.

The RapidBoard "Plan" view allows you to enter an estimate on each issue. This populates the "Story Points" field and is displayed on each issue on the "Plan" view.

Once you begin a Sprint, you can update the estimate by simply editing the issue and changing the "Story Points".

Watch Atlassian's Greenhopper 6.1 video for a nice demonstration of estimating in points: (0:56 shows estimating)

Thanks for taking time to help here, Anson. When we go to the Plan view, there's still no place to put the story points in. When comparing the production Jira system (where I think the problem lies) and the parallel test install of Jira/GH, the story point field doesn't show up anywhere in the production Jira system, yet we do see it in the parallel install.

As an extra datapoint, I noticed that we have two "Story Points" custom fields defined. One is assigned to all (Global) issue types and it used in many, but not all projects. The other is assigned to the "Epic" and "User Story" issue types and is used in one, defunct project. Might this be the problem or at least a contributing factor?

Suggest an answer

Log in or Join to answer
Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,770 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot