Next-gen epic name not appearing in filter?

Danny Fitzgerald March 28, 2019

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a dashboard filter for a next gen project than includes the 'Epic Name' column, but my resulting filter doesn't display the epic names (the column is blank). 

Can anybody help?  Not sure if this is a Jira bug, or if I'm doing something wrong. 

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2019

Hi Danny,

Currently, it's not possible to see Epic information from next-gen projects. It affects not only Epic name but also color, link and status.
We have a feature request suggesting the implementation of this ability:
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17479
Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates about the feature.

Regards,
Angélica

Danny Fitzgerald March 30, 2019

Thanks Angélica.  Not sure I'd agree with this being a new feature, I'd describe it as an existing bug... why include them as options if they don't work?  Thanks for letting me know anyway, hopefully it gets sorted soonish! :)

Like # people like this
Danny Fitzgerald April 16, 2020

For anyone who is wondering - I've since discovered that you can use 'parent' to show the epic names.

Like # people like this
Jason Griffiths November 18, 2020

Alternatively

I have got around the issue by creating a new drop-down field that has allowed me to filter on the selection.  The process is detailed below:- 

1. Create a new drop-down field  i.e. Epic Name (Project Settings->Issue types) and add epic names and associate the new field to the relevant Issue Type i.e. Requirements, Stories etc 
  2. Update all ticket with new field and select correct drop-down name (you could do this with a bulk change but can be fiddley.
  3. Allow Issues in Features in (Project Settings -> Features -> Issue navigator)
  4. Navigate to Issues select Project, Type, Status, and select + More add new drop-down field i.e. Epic Name

You can now sort tickets by relevant Epic Name

Note

• You could also add the Epic Name Field as a Column,
  • This will help with Dashboards if you save the search/ filter 

Suggest an answer