[Next-Gen-Project] How to automatically create issues upon creation of an epic?

Nick Gentile April 19, 2019

NOTE: I am using JIRA's new next-gen projects. This question is specific to that -- 

I have a bit of a unique use-case, I have projects (epics) that have many sub-tasks. 

All of the sub-tasks of an epic will AWLAYS be the same. So I need a way to automate epics so that any time I create one, let's say 6, issues are created and thrown into the backlog. 

I would likely look to workflows but it looks like JIRA is going away from that in next-gen (or hasn't gotten to it yet). 

This is a NEED for our PM team to use JIRA as hand-creating 6ish issues every time we create an epic would get tedious and let errors occur. 

2 answers

0 votes
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2019

Hi @Nick Gentile 

On server, we use Automation for Jira to generate tasks for some project epics. I’m not sure what’s available for next gen projects. The plugin has some next gen projects according to this post

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-questions/Automation-for-Jira-in-Next-Gen/qaq-p/1029987

Also check Scriptrunner for options

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2019

While I have not set this up on NG I have this same scenario running on Classic projects. I use Automation For Jira addon which works well and there is a free “Lite” (fully functional) version you can use.

A.M. November 30, 2023

Would you happen to be able to share this information? I am currently looking to implement this, but I can't script. :) 

Suggest an answer