Newsletter from Jira or Confluence?

Rumceisz November 8, 2012

Hi All,

there as an idea arose: we manage a large Jira and Confluence with over 2000 users.

Hence more and more members we have and also the plugins, features increasing we would like to start a 2-weekly or monthly newsletter which informs the appropriate user groups about the new features, plugins we developed, implemented.

Currently we use a News dashboard but according to surveys almost nobody use to watch. Therefore the newsletter would be more efficient.

Well, I know how to do a newsletter but generating from Jira or Confluence would be the best: only in these 2 apps can we easily choose the proper addresses.

Do you use such feature?

Have got any idea how to do it easily?

Thanks for your advises!

Rumi

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2012

Hi Rumi,

I'm not sure how you would do this from JIRA but it would be very easy to do from Confluence. You would just need to create the newsletter on a Confluence page and then use the share page functionality to send the page via email to all the interested parties. This is built in functionality in Confluence so it wouldn't require any extra plugins but it would require that all the JIRA users you are updating have access to Confluence, but if the Newsletter is published from a space that is anonymously viewable then you can share it with mailing lists and anyone can view it whether they have a Confluence login or not. I really believe this would be the best solution for your needs.

All the best,
John

Rumceisz November 20, 2012

Hi John,

many thanks for the hints!

Actually I guessed Confluence also:)

Well, the users have access to Confluence but I'd like to send them a "real" newsletter: they don't get a url pointing to a Confluence page but a whole HTML content in email.

What do you think it can be achievable?

Thanks,
Rumi

Jorge
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2014

John, what if we want to allow users to manually subscribe or unsubscribe to this newsletter? What would be the best option then?

0 votes
Jorge
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2014

We are also interested in creating a newsletter. So far we have been trying to do this using the Space Blogposting options. The problem that we are having is twofold:

1. Watching the space's blogpost is not straight forward. There is a big watch button on each space, but it only allows us to watch one particular page or the entire space. So if you want to actually watch the blogpost you need to go to an already created blogpost to get a third option.
  2. It is not possible to see how many people are "subscribed" to a the space's blogpost.

There is this feature request that would help with the second part, but hardly has any votes: https://jira.atlassian.com/i#browse/CONF-31125

Suggest an answer