Newer licenses compatible with older versions of products?

William Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2012

We are in the process of upgrading our products from older JIRA 4.1.2 to 5.0.x but may not be ready when the current license expires. We already bought the unlimited 5.0.x licenses though. Can we use those newer licenses with the older versions?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2012

For Jira, yes - there's a format change between 3 and 4, but the license you have for 4 will work through to 5.1 (and probably beyond), and vice-versa - your 5.x licence will work down to Jira 4.0

William Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2012

I found that to be true for what Nic said, but there are differences for each tool. Some of them provide a clear description of what the problem is related to when upgrading and the current license is being used is the wrong one, where at other times it is a bit more vague. Bamboo for one doesn't actually say anything about the licenses being for the older version when upgrading to 4.0, but states that the support period has ended. I was able to resolve this after looking at my more current license and the ones that were being identified in the bamboo.cfg.xml file and noted that they were different.

Suggest an answer