Newbie questions about boards and working with workflow statuses

David Cho May 22, 2017

When I drag a task from the ToDo  to "In Progress" column, the In Progess column momentarily shows to sub columns: "In Progress" and "In Review."  

dragfromtodo.PNG

So I select one of the sub columns.  But once they are under the In Progress column, I can't see which ones are "In Progress" and which are "Under Review."  They are all lumed together.

inprogress.PNG

So I attempted to create a new column called "Review."  But it says "This column will not show on the board without a status."  I have no idea what that means.  And it does not show.  Also, the screen says "This board is unable to use a Software Simplified Workflow."  Okay, so I click on the question mark to see what that means.  That is a dead link.

creatcolumn.PNG

4 answers

2 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2017

The config screen you have in your last screenshot explains what is ahppening.

You have a column called "to do" which has the status "to do" in it.

The second column has two status in it.  When you try to drag a card into that column, you are asked which status you want to use, but it's not displayed because the point of a column with >1 status is that you aren't looking at the underlying status, you're interested in the group of status only.

Your third column will not show because it is useless without a status in it.  A column groups together all the issues in the status that are in the column.  You've got no status in there, so the column won't display anything.

In that screen, I think your easiest, clearest option is to take the "in review" status and drag it into the empty column.  This will make the column appear and the board work as you expect.

3 votes
Answer accepted
Vincent Lyon May 22, 2017

Hi,

You just need to put a status in your Review column. I guess you want to have the "In Review" status in it, so just drag and drop the card in the column.

The column doesn't show while it's empty because in any way, there won't be anything to show.

I didn't try 2 statuses in the same column, si I am no expert, but I think this should fix your problem.

As for Software Simplified Workflow, I don't know this. Try Using the Simplified Workflow in the Atlassian Documentation.

Hope this helped you.

Regards,

Vincent

ismail wisnu December 5, 2018

i have tried your suggestion by trying to change one my card to that new status, but the new coloum still not showing. is this a bug from JIRA?

Like Shrenik Devasani likes this
Shrenik Devasani January 3, 2019

Exactly. I am facing the same issue.

ismail wisnu January 3, 2019

well, apparently, i like the old UI ....

but the new one, its not that hard, you can click the (...) at the tops right and get " board setting". you can manage column there, add one, and you get stack on top right and drag into the that new column... sort off... solved for me.  

Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2019

I'm having this issue now. I am looking at the board settings and have created some additional columns but when I return to the actual sprint board I'm only seeing  To Do, In Progress and Done. I'm not seeing my Review column.

1 vote
Ann Sha April 2, 2019

When your at the project board level, beside complete sprint they is a three dot button. When you click on that just go for board settings and the click columns from settings for column management (this is where you create or add a column). Click on the highlighted "workflow" word it take you to a different screen where you can change the existing workflow. Click on Add Workflow and switch to workflow which already exists or you can use marketplace to buy one. When you select a different workflow, Jira asks you to publish and voila you have a different workflow. 

When you go back to column management again in unmapped column you can find different statues which can be dragged to your new column.

0 votes
Bruce Hartman August 11, 2020

My issue is that I want to create a column named "blocked".  While I could drag "more info" status into that column to make it show up... that is really not the correct classification. 

Is there a way to add a new column and a new "status" that would allow the column to properly represent the state I am looking for?

Suggest an answer