Newbie question about creating workflow -- issues don't use workflow

Ruben Becker November 1, 2013

Hi,

We're using the On-Demand Jira trial offering at present. I wonder if there is a time lag between my updates and when the system incorporates them.

I have created a new workflow, new issue types, and a workflow scheme to incorporate those and assigned all the issue types to this workflow. I went and created a new project and selected that it use this workflow scheme. However, any issues that I create just use the default Jira workflow <Open> -> <InProgress> and not my workflow. I went back and looked at my workflow scheme and everything seems to be in order as best as I can tell.

When I go to the admin screen and look at my project, it has the correct workflow associated with it. However, when I go to the "Issue Types" screen and look at the list of issues, they all list 'jira' the incorrect default workflow rather than my custom workflow. The only place I am aware that this can be set is in the workflow scheme where I 'assigned' all these types to my new workflow.

Any suggestions?

Thanks much.

PS Hmm -- I digging a bit further in the doc and it appears that I may not have my 'issue type scheme' set up...

3 answers

0 votes

Well, if I follow basically the same steps as I did above from start to finish to create a workflow and then associated it with a project, but start with a copy of a Jira workflow rather than creating one from scratch, then things work and I don't encounter the problems I was mentioning above.

Not sure what I was doing incorrectly in creating my own workflow from scratch.

0 votes

I should probably just delete everything above and start this question anew, but I'll leave it there for whatever reason.

I see that when I do a 'switch theme' to associate a workflow scheme with my project, that for all the other Jira-created schemes, when I switch to them, then the theme that is listed on the project admin "Workflows" screen is the name of the workflow that was selected.

However, when I select my workflow scheme, the "JIRA Workflow (Jira)" is listed rather than the workflow I created. When I saw this, I went back into my workflow scheme which had both my custom workflow and the Jira default one (I thought there was no harm in having the extra workflow in there as multiple workflows are allowed), and deleted the Jira default workflow from this scheme so the scheme only contains my custom workflow.

However, when I go back to the 'switch scheme' page and switch to this custom workflow scheme that I created, it still will only list the Jira default workflow, even tho it does not even exist in that scheme now.

0 votes

I've now correctly associated an 'issue type scheme' with my project so now I get the correct customized list of issue types. (I also deleted all previous issues and started over from scratch). However, the workflow is still the default <open> -> <InProgress> workflow and not my customized one.

When I go to my project and do the Administration Summary view, under the workflows section, I see:

Scheme:
MyCustomWorkflow-Name-in-Bold

JIRA Workflow (Jira)

-----
My custom workflow is listed there in bold, but then the actual workflow that is being used is listed below that. Earlier I had done the "Switch Scheme" on my project and the "Associate Workflow Scheme" to align the custom workflow with my project.

Well, it looks like I need to dig more, as now when I go back to this project workflow page, I no longer see the "Switch Scheme" button but now a "Publish" button. When I press that, I see my custom issue steps but the transitions are all aligned with the Jira Default Workflow and not my custom one. (I had also earlier deleted the Jira Default workflow from this scheme in an attempt to fix these problems)

I wonder if this is the all these steps are needed to set up a custom workflow. They seem somewhat numerous and seem to overlap in scope.

Suggest an answer