Newbie Question: Cannot change activity status for almost all activities

Thorsten Barth June 17, 2015

Hi,

please excuse a newbie question. I have created about 10 activities now, of different types. But only for one of them, I see buttons for changing its workflow status, and can move it from one column to the other in the scrum board. For all other activities, there are no buttons to change them for example from "open" to "in progress". Some of them are even the same type. All of them are assigned to myself. I am admin.

I added one workflow phase "in concept", and changed "in progress" to "in development", modified the appropriate workflow, and added a separate scrum board column for it, so there now are two yellow scrum columns... For the one task that works, this workflow works perfectly as well. For all other tasks, I cannot check it because there are no buttons at all to change the status. I cannot even mark bugs as resolved, that are not connected to any scrum b board.

What configurations should I check?

I started with a plain blank installation yesterday, and the only thing I changed was the above mentioned workflow thing... For everything else, I use the built-in templates for "simple activtiy tracking" or how it is called in english.

May someone please give me a hint?

Thank you

Thorsten

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2015

For a transition button to be shown to a user, two things must be true

1. The transition exists in the workflow.  I'm not sure what you mean by "phase", but workflows essentially have two parts - status and transitions.  A transition moves from one status to another.  So you need to make sure that there is a transtion from Open to In Progress.
  2. The "conditions" on a transition will hide it from the user unless they match the rules.  The built-in rule (since JIRA 6.3) is that you must have the project permission to "transition issues", but the others are tagged onto the transition explicitly, and say things like "user must be in the role of developer" or "user must be the current assignee".  So check the transitions for conditions

Bear in mind you can have different workflows for different issue types (it sounds like you have done this), so check the project's "workflow scheme" to see what workflow is in use!

LakshmiS June 17, 2015

Ensure that your workflow is mapped to all the issue types you are using.

Thorsten Barth June 28, 2015

Thank you very much! With "phase", I meant status. In our company-internal language, processes have phases or steps, rather than statuses :-) I am sure, that there are unconditional transitions between the statuses. I will investigate this further.

Suggest an answer