Newbie: I need to create a Jira JQL query and to create a Dashboard:

Juan Velandia August 13, 2019

I need to create a Jira JQL query and to create a Dashboard to:

- Track time from when a ticket is created, and when is delivered on a monthly basis average
- Track the average time that a responsible for a status of a ticket takes to receive and handle his tickets
- comaparison between months for tickets created ans closed

Where do you suggest for me to start?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 14, 2019

Hello Juan,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

All the tracking you want to perform for your tickets can be achieved by the reports of JIRA Software boards. Explaining better, JIRA boards run over a JQL query and have reports that you can use to track the information you want.

Firstly, you must decide what is the methodology you want to use to track your tickets progress:

1 - Kanban Board: This methodology will be used when you want to track a continuous work, not having a determined end in the tracking.

2 - Scrum Board: This methodology can be used when you want to split the progress of your issues in Sprints, defining a determined end time to your sprint and tracking the issues through it. Since you describe it will be performed on a monthly basis, I believe this would be the best option for you.

You can have more details about both methodologies in the documentation Kanban VS Scrum

Once you define your methodology, you can create the relevant project board (Scrum or Kanban) and use the Time tracking functionality to properly configure estimations for your tickets, which will return in your Board reports where you will be able to track if your team is currently up to date or falling behind the estimation when logging work in the tickets or compare with previous months.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Juan Velandia November 21, 2019

Thanks  Petter! All the best! 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2019

You are welcome, Juan.

Have a nice day. :)

Suggest an answer