Newbie (2 days learning) - I cannot figure out how to create 2 sub-tasks which show 2 different screens

cam shields January 29, 2017

I'm using JIRA server 6.4 in order to follow some older youtube videos.

My goal is to create 1 of 2 sub-tasks when editing an issue in my project.  One sub-task called "Waiting on" and the other called "Documentation" (put another way, for any issue, like a bug, I would like to be able to create sub task A or B, each one with a different screen).

"Waiting on" subtask would have a Description and Assignee fields

"Documentation" subtask would have Description and Date fields

When I look at an issue and select 'Create Sub-Task', I can choose either sub task I created, but the field layout is always the one for "Waiting On" even when I choose "Documentation".

If this helps clarify anything at all, here is a basic outline of what I've done.

1. Create 2 issues types: "Waiting On (type subtask)" and "Documentation (type subtask)
  2. I have an Issue Type Scheme called "My Test" which I Edit and drag over my 2 new subtasks
  3. I create a screen called "waiting on subtask" and assign some fields
  4. I create another screen called "Docs subtask" and assign some fields
  5. I add a screen scheme called "waiting on screen scheme" and  set the default screen to "waiting on subtask".  I then associate Create issue to the "waiting on subtask" screen
  6. I add another screen scheme called "docs screen scheme" and do the same as above, except choosing the other scene I want.
  7. I create an Issue Type Screen Scheme for both "waiting on" and "docs" and assign the appropriate screen to each.  I'm asked to associate an issue type with a screen scheme, so I associate the "documentation sub task" issue type with the "docs" screen.  I create another Issue Type Screen Scheme for "waiting on" and choose the appropriate values for screens.
  8. When I pull up an existing issue and select "Create Sub-task", I can choose either sub task I just created.  However, both have the same fields (the one from the "waiting on" sub task".

For the life of me I cannot seem to google up a answer and I feel like I'm going in circles.

I hoep this makes sense.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2017

1-6 look fine, but 7 breaks down.  You say you associate the doc-sub-task type with the docs screen.  Which you can't do.

Stepping back, what you need in terms of artefacts, where I think you're pretty close to:

• A screen for "waiting on subtask"
  • A screen for "docs subtask"
  • A screen-scheme for waiting-on (let's call it waiting-on-screen-scheme), that says to use the "waiting on subtask" screen for create
  • A screen-scheme for docs (let's call it docs-screen-scheme), that says to use the "docs subtask" screen for create
  • An "issue type screen scheme" that says
    • Use waiting-on-screen-scheme for waiting-on issue types
    • Use docs-screen-scheme for docs issue types
  • Finally, a project which uses your new "issue type screen scheme"

Check over that lot to begin with.

That did it!  I had to google associating Issue Type Screen Schemes with a project, and that led me to clicking around on my project administration page, going to Screens, clicking "Default Issue Type Screen Scheme" and select"use a different scheme".  I feel that part I just got lucky with.  Essentially what I was left with at your last bullet point was:

Issue Type Screen Schemes

=== Name =========================== Project ============= Operations

Default issue type screen scheme.......Cam........Config, Edit, Copy

subtasks..........................................Config, Edit, Copy

Doing what I described earlier put the associated the project "Cam" to sub taks, which digging into it also included the Default Screen Scheme.  So I think that's right.... but getting to that last point felt "unnatural".  Going back to my main project page?  

Anyway - you did it!!  Thank you so much.  Any tips on my last comment would be appreciated, or if I did something wrong in general!

Thanks!

cameron

Like Nick Stewart likes this
0 votes

sure!  Any additional advice would be great.  The screen shots "should" be in a logical order. Edit - I don't think they are

Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 6.59.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-29 at 6.58.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-29 at 6.59.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-29 at 7.00.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-29 at 6.59.50 PM.png

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2017

Would you mind posting some screenshots of the configs? It sounds like you've done it all right.

Suggest an answer