New users are directed to the 'Your Work' screen and I want them directed to the 'System Dashboard'.

Antonio Francis October 28, 2019

Hi, 

A couple of months ago when I created new users they would login into Jira and by default they would land onto the 'System dashboard' after skipping through the questionnaire. Now when I create a new user they now land onto the 'your work' screen after skipping through the questionnaire. They then have to click the diamond (jira) icon to get to the system dashboard or another dashboard. Why would you change that? You have just made their entry into Jira longer. 

Jira was once user friendly it's now becoming extremely hard for basic users of which 95% of my users are. 

I have worked hard to write a document to help them navigate through Jira but since changes are made like this every month, I have abandoned this as I cannot keep up with the changes and nor can my users. Every month I need to re-train them?  

Can anyone tell me how to set my new users to the 'system dashboard' and not to 'your work'.

This would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony.

2 answers

0 votes
Thuan Nguyen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2022

Hi @Antonio Francis 

User is able to choose their default landing page by going to Personal Settings (click on the profile icon at the top right corner, then choose Personal Settings).

Then user will be able to change their Jira Home page to: Your Work, Projects directory or Dashboards.

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 8.41.01 pm.png

Thanks,

Thuan.

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 29, 2019

Hi Antonio,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

The change to the default landing page, previously to Projects and now to Your work, was made to help users who spend most of the time working on projects or like to check directly the tickets they are working on.

This change is not permanent, if they want, they can change back to the dashboard as the default page.

Please, ask them to go to Your work page and click on on the top right corner. They should have an option to switch back to the dashboard.

Screenshot 2019-10-29_13-57-39-161.png

This configuration is not possible to set when creating the user, so they will need to change it after the first login.

Regards,
Angélica

Antonio Francis October 29, 2019

Hi Angelica,

Thank you for responding, it's much appreciated.

I do know of that workaround and I have been training my new users on how to do it since they changed the landing page. That's not the issue here. The issue is that Atlassian decided to change where new created users first land when they join Jira. In the past a new user would land in the 'System Dashboard' and now they land in the 'Your Work' when they haven't done any work because they have just been created. That makes no sense? Have the new users go to the 'System Dashboard' like they used to and then allow them to make the 'Your Work' their landing page. But they are now being forced to navigate through the 'Your Work' and then choose to change their landing page. 

You say 'This configuration is not possible to set when creating the user' yet they changed it so they should change it back to what it was before when a new user was created.

This is not about existing users this is about new created users who have not done any work because they have just joined.

Do you understand my point? 

Thanks,

Tony.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
October 31, 2019

I understand Antonio. Dashboards are the better page for them because Your Work will be empty and the dashboard has gadgets with more information and details about their work or the work of the projects they are a member of.

Currently, we can't change that. I'm afraid you need to add that information on the documentation you created for new users for them to manually change. Maybe some of them will like Your Work instead of Dashboards, so they will have this option to choose what they like most when they open Jira.

Based on your request, I created a feature request suggesting the option to make the Dashboard a default or add the option for the admin to select:

Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates. I added the link to this question and also your feedback as an internal comment.

Like Antonio Francis likes this
Antonio Francis October 31, 2019

Hi Angelica,

Thanks very kind of you to have done that for me. It's very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony.

Like Angélica Luz likes this

Suggest an answer