New sprints not available in all boards

Lee Cash June 7, 2017

Hey guys, 

Here's my set up:

I have one project and use one sprint. However, I have multiple teams all pulling from one backlog. Each team has its own board, filtered by component. There is no sharing of components across boards. This keeps tasks from one board appearing on another. 

Now, as part of planning we create future sprints and assign tasks from the backlog into them accordingly. Naturally we don't start these future sprints until the current sprint ends. 

My problem is: if I create a new future sprint when in Board A, this sprint is for the entire project and is expected to have tasks from *all* components. When I go into Board B, however, the new future sprint is nowhere to be seen. I can't add tasks from the other board into the new sprint. It's as if the sprint is tied to the board while I need it to be project-wide.

Thinking the new sprint was somehow tied to the components of the board it was created in (and hence isn't appearing in the other board due to a different component list), I set up a MASTER board (filter is literally project = proj_name) which is hence driven by ALL components. I created a new sprint here hoping that, when I viewed the backlog in the component-driven boards, the new sprint would appear in both. No such luck. 

One workaround I found was the following: 

Create new future sprint in Board A. Add tasks to it. 

Create another new future sprint in Board B. Add tasks to it. 

Check the MASTER board. Both sprints and their respective tasks appear accordingly. Move the contents of one sprint into the other. Delete the now empty future sprint. This doesn't impact the boards as the tasks are still tied to the components and they're all technically still in a sprint. The new "shared" sprint appears in each board's backlog view. 

This method, while feasible, is error-prone and grossly inefficient in my opinion. There has to be a better way. What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to create a new sprint and have it automatically appear in all boards above the backloffffg? 

Thanks in advance, 

Lee

P.S. I have allow parallel sprints turned on as at one point I was going to have individual sprints per team. Could this be the problem?

0 answers

Suggest an answer