New project pre-populated roles?

Robert Leachman December 19, 2019

Hey Jira experts, we host our own 7.8.4, where do we control the pre-populated values in "Users and roles" please?

1. Create new (business) Jira project
  2. Open Users and roles screen
  3. Observe pre-populated role for ADMINISTRATORS

... and that's where I would expect it to stop, but instead also

4. Observe pre-populated role for "HR STAFF" with 50 usernames

This isn't a huge problem since the project's permissions only refer to Administrators but having the HR thing associated is annoying enough to ask, how to not start the project with this role?

Also, how to delete it from the project?

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2019

You can manage the default members of project roles on the main Project Roles configuration page, which should be found at https://<your-jira-domain>/secure/project/ViewProjectRoles.jspa - each row should show a "Manage Default Members" link.

Here, you can set individual users or user groups as the default members of each role when you create a new project.

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2019

Also, I think this is what you're asking about, but project roles are global in Jira and apply to all projects. If a project role appears in one project, it will be available in all projects. To your point, membership to certain roles may not actually do anything on a given project - it all depends on the permission and notification configurations.

Robert Leachman February 6, 2020

Jackpot!

Presently I can't edit it, fails with org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException: Invocation of method 'getUserPickerHtml' in class com.atlassian.jira.web.action.admin.roles.UserRoleActorAction threw exception java.lang.NullPointerException

... but I'll sort that out. Thanks for the useful answer!

0 votes

This is good information and I appreciate the quick replies, but I guess I wasn't clear.

We have about a dozen roles defined on the main Project Roles configuration page, at https://<your-jira-domain>/secure/project/ViewProjectRoles.jspa

Immediately after creating a new Jira business project, and visiting https://<your-jira-domain>/plugins/servlet/project-config/<new project key>/roles

I would expect to see only (perhaps) Administrators, but instead my brand new project includes the HR STAFF role with 50 users.

That's the issue, I don't want to have to begin preparing a new project's role list by deleting anyone, but cannot figure out why HR STAFF is pre-populated. Does that make sense?

Thanks!

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2019

Are those 50 users listed as default members of that role under "Manage Default Members" on the Project Roles configuration page? That's the only thing I know of that should pre-populate a project role with users (unless you're using some Marketplace apps - I don't know of one, but it might be possible that an app is set up to add users to this role at project creation).

Thank you Alex.

The issue is not about the members of the role, but that this role is involved at all in the creation of a new project. I can't see what is different with the HR role vs. any of the other defined roles.

The HR role is consistently being added to a new project. For the other roles Jira works as I would expect, leaves those out until I add them to the project.

Weird huh?

0 votes
John Fetzik
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2019

One thing to keep in mind is that the Roles you can select from in a Project is limited to those that have one or more permission assigned in the Projects Permission Scheme.

Suggest an answer