New line (carriage return) and table problems in wiki-markup

Błażej O_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2013

Hello.

I stumbled upon some problematic issue. I am programatically generating values for a rich-text field. I want to fill a rich-text field with a string containing wiki-markup with table symbols:

||text1||text2|| \\ |text3|text4|

and I hope to get the string broken into separare table rows like this:

||text1||text2||

|text3|text4|

However what I actually get is something like this, as if putting a line break between cell markers creates a line break INSIDE the cell:

||text1||text2|| |text3|text4|

When I looked up database value of such field it shows two spaces in the area that jira interprets as a line break.

||text1||text2||••|text3|text4|

I tried putting all kinds of spaces, yet i can't force jira to break the whole line into separate cell rows.

What symbol should I use inside the string to force jira to read it as a new table row indicator?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Błażej O_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2013

I haven't found any elegant solution to this problem, so I created slightly messy, but working one.

the two unidentified symbols are:

In this combination they are treades as enter. Yet, when I inject them to the string Jira sees it not as a single carriage return, but as two entities and still creates carriage return INSIDE cell.

So I created a special issue with JUST carriage return. Then I import the value of it into the string, and it works ok. Aboslutely unprofessional, but working... ;)

0 votes
Łukasz Sielski priv June 23, 2020

Hello,

The nice way is to use %0A 

Crisler T. Moor February 17, 2021

I went with "
&#13" to generate the line break in the cell content.  Thanks...

Suggest an answer