New license necessary for upgrade to version 6?

Manuel Offermann November 21, 2014

Hello,

2 weeks ago we upgraded our JIRA version from version 4.3 to version 5.0. Our plan was to upgrade to version 6.*, but we get an error message that license is too old for version 5.1 or higher.

This is the message from the logfile:

2014-10-22 12:31:41,960 main ERROR      [atlassian.jira.license.LicenseJohnsonEventRaiserImpl] The current license is too old (14.05.2012 16:00:00) to run this version (5.1 - Thu Jul 05 00:00:00 CEST 2012) of JIRA.

2014-10-22 12:31:42,017 main ERROR      [atlassian.jira.upgrade.UpgradeLauncher] No upgrade is being performed due to detected inconsistencies. The current license is too old to install this version of JIRA (5.1)

Our IT administrators also get another message:

>>JIRA support and updates for this license ended on 14.05.2012 16:00:00. JIRA updates created after 14.05.2012 16:00:00 are not valid for this license.

>>If you wish to have access to support and updates, please renew your maintenance. Renewing your maintenance allows you continued access to great benefits.

We have a 100 user license which is still valid, it will be renewed each year by our license management. Therefore I can't understand why our license is not valid.

Now my questions:

• Do we need a new one?
  • Do we need a license upgrade?
  • Can our problem be solved by a technical modification in the software?

Thanks in advance for your help!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2014

Normally upgrades are covered during the maintenance period. I would contact sales@atlassian.com and ask for more information.

Hello Jose, thanks for this email, I will contact them via email.

Like Jose M. likes this
0 votes
Manuel Offermann January 20, 2015

Hey guys,

issue is solved. It was a problem with certificate.

Version 6.3.14 is running fine now.

Thanks for your hints and ideas.

Bye

Manuel

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2014

Possibly.

Check the end date on your licence in JIRA carefully - what exactly does it say?

For your questions

1. Maybe
  2. No, it changed between 3 and 4, but not again
  3. No.

Thanks Nic for your first information.

I have updated with a few more information from my IT administrator.

How can I check if we need to order a new license?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2014

Ah, ok, well, the error messages tell you what is wrong. The licence you have installed is invalid for the version of Jira you have. You can only upgrade JIRA to a version that was released BEFORE the end of your licence. Now, you say you've been paying for the maintenance for 100 users. That's fine. But I suspect that you have NOT been *installing* the new licences when you renew them All you need to do is go to your my.atlassian account and find the licence - it will give you a valid licence key which you can copy and paste into JIRA.

Manuel Offermann November 23, 2014

We have copied the license which is notified on my.atlassian, but it didn't work. We tried it with license from our internal license management as well, but no success. Do I have to renew it in my.atlassian?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 23, 2014

What does "it didn't work" mean? If it's the same error, then you have NOT been renewing your licences at all, you've not been paying for them (or you have another account and you're looking in the wrong place). Check the dates displayed on the my.atlassian licence pages. If it's not the date error, then what is the error?

Manuel Offermann November 26, 2014

You can find the error message which has been displayed in my modified question above. I have checked the history of license, see below History: 15 Mai 2009 Purchase of JIRA (Server) Enterprise [Legacy]: Commercial License avono AG 15 Mai 2010 Converted to JIRA (Server) 100 Users: Commercial License avono AG 15 Mai 2011 Maintenance Renewal avono AG 15 Mai 2012 Maintenance Renewal avono AG 15 Mai 2013 Maintenance Renewal avono AG 15 Mai 2014 Maintenance Renewal avono AG Additionally I can see an info field under the license key in my.atlassian: This license is compatible with JIRA 4 or above and includes 100 users. If you are using an older version of JIRA, you can generate a compatible license key. But it is working for 5.0, but not for 5.1 or higher like my IT adminsitrator told to me. Any more hints?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 26, 2014

Ok, so you have a valid licence on the Atlassian site. What *exactly* happens when you paste it into the licence screen in JIRA?

Manuel Offermann November 27, 2014

What do you mean with "paste it into the licence screen in JIRA"? Paste it in my.atlassian or while installing and configurating the JIRA-software?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 28, 2014

I don't know how else to phrase it. Copy the key from your my.atlassian site, go to Jira -> Admin -> licence and paste it into the big empty text box that says "licence key"

Suggest an answer