New custom checkbox field can't be queried on existing JIRA items?

Rob Kubitz August 7, 2013

I added a new custom checkbox field (single checkbox, labeled/option "Yes") to an existing JIRA installation. The field is called "Regression Tested?". I then created a query to find all items from the last release that don't have this field checked so we can do regression testing on it. My query is this:

Status=Closed and fixVersion="<version>" and "Regression Tested?" IS EMPTY

However, any JIRA item that was created before this field was created and added to the entry/edit screens are not returned with this query (they should be EMPTY by default?). Only newly created JIRAs and existing ones where I have edited the checkbox value on and off (and then saved) are being returned. I also tried using "Regression Tested?" is NULL and also "Regression Tested?" != "Yes". These didn't work either.

How can I get existing JIRA items to show up on this filter?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rob Kubitz August 13, 2013

It seems to have resolved itself.

Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2013

Strange. Must be some index related problem...

Glad it is working better now.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2013

Have you set any default value for that field?

0 votes
Rob Kubitz August 9, 2013

Unfortunately, no. Still have the same number today. Should be dozens more. Just for laughs, I'm doing another reindex. I'll see if anything changes by Monday.

0 votes
Rob Kubitz August 8, 2013

I just did. It helped, but only slightly. Now I'm getting a few items returned to the filter, but not nearly as many as there should be. And the ones that are showing up were not edited since this field was added, so I have no idea what would be different between them and the others. If I take out the "Regression Tested?" IS EMPTY clause from my query I get all of the items.

Any other thoughts?

Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 9, 2013
I find the same thing with a custom field I added recently. For some reason everything started showing up several hours after the re-index - as though it had actually been indexing the whole time. Any improvement now that more time has passed?
0 votes
Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2013

Have you done any re-indexing since you added the custom field?

Suggest an answer