New User & Evaluation

Brandon Benner October 20, 2013

I'm interested in the evaluation trial for JIRA for an emulation project I've recently launched, but am running in circles it seems on the options available to me.

Based on other Q&A's I've read, I'm under the impression that it's possible to download a trial copy of JIRA and host it under my own domain. When downloading JIRA, it is asking me to install it directly to my desktop, which I clearly do not want to do.

Any tips? Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2013

You don't have to install it on your desktop. Check the installation guide and make sure you downloaded the version for your OS.

Brandon Benner October 20, 2013

Thank you for the prompt response. I probably should have clarified that I am using a shared hosting account with Go Daddy, and based on the options in the installation guide, I suppose I'll need to install JIRA to my desktop.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2013

Although the evaluation stuff might try to install on a desktop, you can install it on anything, it doesn't matter what type of machine it is. As long as the target runs Java and allows you to put a web application server and the application on it.

Heck, if you want a real challenge, you can get it to work on a mobile 'phone (be warned, it gets hot quite quickly and it's not quick) or an old OpenVMS box.

Brandon Benner October 21, 2013

I appreciate rhe response, Nic. But after speaking with Go Daddy, their shared hosting accounts no longer allow the use of Java, so I'll need to settle for JIRA OnDemand for the time being, and then hopefully export my data and import it into a new hosted version of JIRA in a month or so.

Thanks for all of the help / tips!

Suggest an answer