New Jira ticket overwrote old Jira ticket with same issue ID

John Chen December 13, 2017

I've run into a strange issue with my Jira Server instance. We're running Jira Core 7.5.2 connected to an Oracle 11g database.

We created a ticket: TEST-8712 and received an email confirmation.

Later on in the day, we created another ticket, and it was assigned the same ID as the previous ticket TEST-8712.

When I search for TEST-8712 in Jira, the second ticket is the only ticket that shows and the previous ticket is no where to be found.

Both tickets were created by clicking the "Create" button at the top bar, NOT by email.

Any ideas why this could be happening? Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 15, 2017

I would try first to go back to the Jira logs from the exact time of the first issues creation.  If Jira created this issue correctly and successfully, then it should have also updated a counter that exists in the projects table.  In that table there is a field that corresponds to this TEST project called pcounter.  This counter is only ever expected to be incremented by Jira, but this number gets incremented by 1 for each issue created in that project.

Deleting an issue from that project does not decrement this counter.  So, I'm not sure how to explain the behavior just yet.  But my hunch is that there could have been some kind of SQL error at the time of the first issue creation to prevent this update.  

The only other alternative I can think of is that some other users might have been making changed to the SQL database directly at the time of or some time after the first issue creation.   If someone rolledback all the SQL changes to a time before the creation of that issue, it might explain why you got the notification, but then that issue disappeared.

Also a side note, Jira 7 does support the use of Oracle databases, but not that specific version you listed.  All Jira 7 versions support the Oracle 12c database version, but not previous 11g or earlier versions as per Supported Platforms Jira 7.5.x.

The logs I would recommend looking at would be in the $JIRAHOME/log/ directory.   Specifically I would be looking for a string like a "sql exception" in the atlassian-jira.log file from that time.

Suggest an answer