New Jira Experience - Fate of MultiProject Boards

Aaron Terry October 12, 2017

Multi project boards are vital to how we use Jira. I'm unclear on whether or not these are being taken away in the redesign.

I read through this page:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/boards-in-the-new-jira-experience-937886048.html

It says plainly:

"Previously, there were global boards that contained work from multiple projects. Those are a thing of the past."

Our current multi-project boards were auto-assigned to my profile, because they are Project independent. I assume that their considered independent because they have custom JQL Filters defining the backlog.

A have a few questions (I'm intentionally asking the same questions in different ways):

1. Looking at my Profile in the New Experience, I see that I have the ability to create new boards under my profile. It let's me specify a saved JQL filter. Is that the new way to create multi-project boards and is that feature remaining once the New Experience is rolled out to everyone? Or is this just a temporary way to support the global boards that will be removed once the New Experience is rolled out completely?
  2. Are their plans to remove the ability to have work from multiple projects on the same board by defining a custom JQL query?
  3. I'm not asking for guarantees, but can you confirm that there are no plans to limit/prevent multi-project, profile boards from being created?
  4. The statement about multi-project, global boards being a thing of the past .... is it more correct to say that global boards are a thing of the past, and that they must be owned by a project or by a profile..

2 answers

1 vote
Matthew Hillier October 30, 2017

This is also something we're facing. While a lot of our boards are project-focused, there are a number - especially those that I use for overall portfolio management - which are cross-project and tell a higher-level story of what our teams are doing.

JIRA seems to have completely hidden these boards inside my profile now, which is frustrating and non-obvious.

It also adds yet another barrier-to-entry for my stakeholders, who already resist coming into JIRA for information. I'm going to spend more time keeping powerpoint and excel documents updated now because I can't easily get people where I want them to be.

Please, please, please really think about how difficult is it for people to find a board now.

Aaron Terry November 7, 2017

@Matthew Hillier

I ended up adding links to each board in the Application Navigator. It's the hamburger menu near the bottom left corner in the new Jira Experience.

Just Hover over it and hit edit. Then you can add links and set which Jira Groups can see the links.

Not ideal, but better than nothing.

Here's what ours looks like. I also added some links to some external services like Github.

Capture.PNG

Kathy Barton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2018

THANK YOU! I was trying to figure out a hack to give people access to common boards. This is perfect! 

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2017

Hi Aaron

Disclaimer - I don't work for Atlassian, so can't tell you what is planned, but rather what is available now.

A board can still show issues from multiple projects. Your multiple boards have been auto assigned to you, but if you go into each one's Board Settings, there is a new field Location - if you change this to be the project rather then you, they will all group together and you can switch between them with a new icon which will appear looking like this 

Picture0004.jpg

I believe your statement 4 is probably correct

Aaron Terry October 12, 2017

Warren,

Thanks for the reply. I saw that location dropdown on the "edit board" screen.

Conceptually speaking -- in our company, boards are owned and managed by developer scrum teams. One board per team.

We then have several Project Managers who own a separate implementation project for each client being onboarded.

Issues for any given implementation might get spread across multiple scrum teams -- depending on the type of work and team availability.

We use custom JQL filters to define the backlog for each team ... based on IssueType and a custom field that has a value in it for each scrum team.

If we linked our boards to projects, we'd need to edit all the boards everytime a project is created.

All of that being said --- if things stay like they are now in the New Experience, I think that we'll be ok. I'm just asking whether or not there are more restrictions coming down the pipe.

Suggest an answer