New JIRA user with user name same as an old Inactive user - JIRA + Crowd

Rahul K July 27, 2015

We have a new JIRA user (username: 'abc.pqr') who needs access to JIRA. But we had a user with the same user name in our organization few years back. This old username is Inactive. 

Unfortunately this new user has been give the same user name.

How do I handle this in JIRA? 

Using JIRA 6.1.1 with Crowd 2.5. There is no facility to update the old inactive username to 'abc.pqr-inactive' so that I can then add a new user with user name 'abc.pqr'.

1 answer

0 votes
crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 27, 2015

Just rename the old user normally.

• Hit "." and type "users" (or click the Gear icon and select "User Management")
  • Find the user to be renamed.  They should still be listed even though they are inactive.
  • Either click "Edit" from the main list or click on the user and select "Edit Details" under the "Actions" menu
  • Change the user's name in the username field.
  • Click update to save the renamed user.

If the user's name is not editable, then this means that it was supplied to JIRA by an external directory (Crowd or LDAP), and you will have to rename the user there.

Rahul K July 28, 2015

Chris, As mentioned in the Issue description, I am using Crowd 2.5. It does not have capability to update usernames. Thus the question

crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2015

Ahhh yes, sorry, I overlooked that. It sounds like you'll need to upgrade to Crowd 2.7 if you want this functionality: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD/Crowd+2.7+Release+Notes

Rahul K July 28, 2015

Thanks. That is what I thought as well.

Suggest an answer