New JIRA Server experience?

Alessandro Tondo August 29, 2017

When will the new JIRA experience become availbale also for JIRA Server applications?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2017

At the Barcelona Summit, this came up several times.  It's "a long time".  The closest I could get to a planned date was a grudging "doubt it'll be before US Summit" (and they didn't mean the one in a couple of weeks)

Alessandro Tondo August 29, 2017

Thanks Nic!

Not the answer I was looking for though...

Andrew R Design December 4, 2017

when will it be (US Summit)?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2017

The US summit is 10th April 2019 (note, not 2018). 

We have no new news on the data of the new UI going to server.

Pedro Felgueiras
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2017

That's a long time. When you have federated instances (between cloud and server) you are exposing your clientes to different interfaces to the same UI for more then 2 years. 

Do we have any commitment or an ETA provided by Atlassian itself for this?  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2018

Nothing new yet.  If anything, there's small suggestions that it could be longer.

hirschfl February 21, 2018

Confluence server has the new UI.

But there is no new information about JIRA right?

confluence-6-7-release-notes

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 21, 2018

No, Confluence server does NOT have the new UI.  It has an updated look and feel, in line with the style changes Atlassian have made to their sites and applications, but not the new layout you see on Cloud, which is what this question is about.  Jira also has the updated look and feel.

hirschfl February 22, 2018

Ok, sorry for not being specific enough.

Regarding JIRA: I installed the newest JIRA server version, but it still has the old look and feel.

Are you sure JIRA has the new look and feel? Or am i doing something wrong (I also could not find this update in the jira-software-release-notes)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2018

No, as I said, Confluence and Jira have the updated look and feel.  This is NOT the UI that is on Cloud, this is some changes to fonts, colours, logos and wording.

hirschfl February 22, 2018

I am currently running Atlassian JIRA Project Management Software (v7.8.0). This is the newest version available jira-software-release-notes.

It looks like this:

Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 15.48.45.png

I am also running the newest version of Atlassian Confluence (v6.7.1) confluence-server-documentation

It looks like this:

Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 15.49.15.png

Now since you are telling me, that JIRA also has the new look and feel, it looks like i made a mistake and "deactivated" the new look and feel.

However, i could not find such a setting and could also find the steps to enable it in the documentation.

Am i doing something wrong here, or is the new look and feel only available for confluence server and not for JIRA server?

Vick Khera March 14, 2018

This is the same as I observe. There's nothing to activate/deactivate on Jira as far as I can tell. It just doesn't have the new look as claimed above.

Bruce Reed March 23, 2018

Actually, this is a positive from my organizations view. We were forced onto the new Cloud UI and people hate it. Even at this stage, people are still struggling in trying to navigate it.  I don't think Atlassian did enough customer outreach or polling at the end of the opt-in period.

For us, we're moving to Jira Server primarily for other reasons, but when this was announced in a room of Jira users there was cheering.

Varora1406 May 6, 2018

Well new Confluence is bad for us as well in terms of navigation.

Although, I want to know that is there any update on bring new UI for JIRA servers?

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2018

@Varora1406 New Confluence Server Edition is also slowly adapting to new UI - not so much as Cloud though.

varora14 May 7, 2018

So, my question is what's the planned timeline for complete adoption?

Waiting without any date is really demotivating

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2018

There's no planned date to move server to the new UI you see on Cloud.

Hopefully, it will only happen after Atlassian fix the problems that are being reported with the new UI.

Personally, I find Cloud pretty much unusable now and avoid it like the plague, and it's notable that we are no longer doing any server-to-cloud migrations with people, it's all Cloud-to-server.

Alessandro Tondo May 31, 2018
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2018

@Alessandro Tondo- I'm afraid you've misunderstood that.

The new look and feel mentioned in 7.10 is a change of colours, icons, branding and so-on. 

The discussion here is about the new UI layout found on Cloud.  Which is a matter of contention (Cloud is very much losing customers because of it, and even some of us fan-boys despise it - I simply don't recommend Cloud to anyone now, for several reasons, the UI being a significant one).  Fortunately, it's not coming to server any time soon.

Alessandro Tondo May 31, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I've written too quickly and haven't explained anything. I'm sorry about that.

It was in reply to the fresh look mentioned by @hirschfl.

hirschfl May 31, 2018

Thanks for mentioning @Alessandro Tondo !

0 votes
iSenne January 20, 2019

I just installed version 7.13, but this does not have the new "Jira experience". Is there an e.t.a. on this feature?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2019

It has not changed from the discussion above - thankfully, there appear to be no plans to inflict the Cloud UI on Server users.

Like iSenne likes this
iSenne January 21, 2019

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Thank you for the reply. You say 'thankfully', I say 'to bad' :P

The new look and feel has grown on me haha. But I'll be waiting.

Like nathan4322 likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2019

Most users I talk to find the Cloud UI to be awful.  I tend to agree, as I didn't have to explain the Server UI to anyone, but now find myself in training sessions doing nothing but teaching the new UI and getting lots of questions like "why can't I find/do x" and "why is it so bad?"

Suggest an answer