New Custom Field Type based on the System Field "Description"

Russ April 3, 2013

Hello folks,

One of the things I've been looking to do is expose the custom field type 'Text Field, Unlimited' in a much nicer way within Issue Types.

When you create a new issue, Description is a nicely exposed text field, easy to view and display content within. When you use the Custom Field type Text (unlimited) it presents itself at the top of the issue as a small single line collapsable item.

Essentially, this field type is useless to me as it doesn't expose the data in a way that I feel is beneficial. I can think of a number of applications for this, but right now I'd simply like to find out the right direction for adding a new Custom Field Type (have reviewed developers documentation on this so understand the principle, but I'm not a developer) that will display within an issue the same way Description does.

Could somebody help me out with this please?

Thanks,

Russ

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2013

Ok, the screenshot does make it more clear.

I don't see a lot of difference between Description and Custom text though. The main thing is that the title for custom fields lies alongside the box, whereas for Description, it's above. That's a function of the type of field - Description is rendered totally separately from the custom fields and that bit is handled by core code.

I don't think modifying the .vm for a "free text" field is going to do it - the .vm files for a field handle the data display, and the problem you've got is with the framework they live within. (That confused me as I typed it, so another way to say it - when Jira is displaying a screen, it has a list of fields. For each one, it pulls out the title, does some decoration, displays the field name, and then goes to the field "and how do I display your data?". The field answers with "here's my .vm")

The only thing I can think of doing is pulling the field out into it's own specific area, similar to Description. That does need some hacking, but I think it's .jsp files only, and I'd start at - https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Adding+Custom+Field+to+Issue+Summary

... Of course, not for OnDemand...

Russ April 16, 2013

Thanks Nic, I'll look into it... it's just a terrible shame as we could do some really nice work if we had the ability to do this. I may even look into the way styling is done... I've just got this hunch I could copy all the styling and .vm stuff and 'make it work' somehow...

Thanks again!

0 votes
Russ April 4, 2013

Ok, based onthe couple of responses so far I've played with the renderers.

I've just tried this and changing the renderer doesn't appear to do anything special.

Free Text Field display using Wiki RendererWhat I really want to have is another section that looks and works just like Description does called "Steps to Replicate" or "Background" but as you can see, russtest just displays in the details section and that's not a logical position for it to be in...

Does that make it any clearer to understand?

I'm wondering if (and I don't have this at the moment, especially via On Demand) I could simply copy the .vm for description and rename some some things, adding in the Custom Field Type wrapper details as in the Developer Docs.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2013

Can you add a screenshot? Unlimited text field should behave the same as description or atleast similar. Also, you can change renderer to wiki style renderer under field configurations if you haven't done that already.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2013

Oops, I'd just scribbled much the same!

There doesn't seem to be anything in the question that isn't answered by "use a free text field and check the renderer"

Russ April 16, 2013

I've added a screenshot which shows the field I dislike at the top with the description. Hopefully this helps show this better.

Suggest an answer