New Create Screen for each Issue Type

Jeremy Banks May 12, 2017

I am having issues configuring Jira for what we are looking for. I need each issue type to have a different create issue screen and notifications to be sent to different people for each issue type.

I have created new workflows for each issue type and new screens for each issue type. I have created screen schemes for each issue type as well. I have updated the workflow scheme to reflect the correct workflow and updated the first transition in the new workflows to look at the new create issue screens. 

I'm sure I am missing a step. I can get only get the new create issue screen if I associate my project with the new scheme. The problem is, the project should have 9 schemes and you can only associate 1. How can I make it so each issue type gets a different create issue page while still being able to send notifications to different people by issue type?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2017

Hi Jeremy,

you missed one step after creating the screen schemes: create an issue type screen scheme:

In this issue type screen scheme, you associate an issue type with a screen scheme. In the issue type screen scheme, you have your 9 entries.

After creation of the issue type screen scheme, associate it to your project and that should do it.

Hi Thomas, 

Thanks for your help on this. I did create an issue type screen scheme, however, it doesn't let me connect it to a project. You can only have 1 issue type screen scheme per project.

Thanks, 

Jeremy

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2017

you have to remove the old one and use the new one:

screenscheme.png

If you have entries in the original screen scheme that you still need, you have to add them to your new scheme before.

Okay, let me just clarify to make sure I am on the same page. I have the following for 9 issue types:

• 1 project
  • 9 workflows
  • 1 workflow scheme configured to each workflow
  • 9 screens
  • 9 screen schemes?
  • 9 Issue type screen schemes?

If I remove the old scheme and replace it with the new scheme, which new scheme should I use because I have 9. Thanks again!

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2017

Ah, now it gets clearer, thanks for your list.

You only create 1 issue type screen scheme. In this one scheme, you associate each of your issue types with its according screen scheme.

And after you have done that, you associate that one issue type screen scheme to your project.

Like Oliver Schoen likes this

That worked, Thomas. Thank you!!

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2017

You're welcome :)

Please mark the question as answered, if you think it is, so other users find similar questions with a satisfying answer easier.  

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2018

I'm experiencing a similar issue with displaying fields on the Create Issue Screen: I want to limit the fields that show on the Create Issue Screen based on the Issue Type selected. For example, if I'm entering a new Risk issue type I want the Risk Consequence and Risk Probability fields available. However, if I am entering a new Story or Task I want those risk fields hidden. 

Is this possible? (Based on the answers above I'm guessing not.)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2018

The answers above are about doing it, and there are three ways to do it. 

Fields can be associated with different project/issue types by

• Having different screens for create, edit and updating (screen schemes and transition screens)
  • Having different show/hide flags (field configurations)
  • Tell Jira to only place the fields on certain issue types (field context)

Note the second and third affect the issue entirely, they're black and white - the field is either on the issue or it is not.  The method using screens is a bit more flexible, it allows you to do things like having a very simple "create" screen, then a more complex  (e.g. for an Incident, where you probably just want to report it and get it fixed, but then have fields like "root cause" edited in later)

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2018

Thanks Nic. I'm currently using the third method, but I'm hoping for a "context sensitive" Create view where the fields that are displayed are dependent on the value selected in the Issue Type field.

Say, for instance, I click "Create Issue" and the default screen opens with the Issue Type populated as "Story." In this scenario the Risk Consequence and Risk Probability fields are not available. But, when I change the Issue Type to Risk the two risk fields become active. This would happen without saving the issue to create it and then going back in to the issue's Edit view.

It doesn't seem possible today, I might write it up as an enhancement request.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2018

That will happen already on screens where the issue type is presented.  Fields that are not valid for the new issue type selected will vanish, and reappear when you change to a type they are valid for.

Suggest an answer