New Board not showing in Project boards drop down

vance_duke December 13, 2019

I have been trying unsuccessfully to create a board that will show up under my Project and was wondering if someone might be able to help.

I have a project with 5-6 boards already, and I am trying to create a new board based on a specific JQL query.  I have created the board through "All Boards" as well as the last option in the Project board drop down, "Create Board".

When I create the board, I share the board with my Project, where there are already other boards.  I have done a side by side compare of an existing board, and the new board, and the settings are the same.

When I go directly to the board via View All Boards, I can find it and see it, and when I access the board the data that I expect is there. But no matter what I try, the board does not show up in the Project boards drop down.

I have tried to Favorite the board, make the board public. I am the owner of the board, and the project and the filter, and I am a system Admin.  I am just missing something.

We are using Jira v8.1.0.

Thanks for any help.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2019

Hello Vance,

• Does the JQL query include any issues for that project? 
  • If you got the board into the configuration, do you see the project listed in the "projects in board" section?

Thanks for the response.

• The JQL query does not contain any issues from the Project, and is looking for items that are labeled a certain way from another project.
  • When I go to the Board > Configuration > Projects in Board, it states "This Board contains 13 projects".  I modified my JQL query to only look at one other project, and that specific project only shows now.  This did not resolve the issue of the board now showing.

Thanks for the questions.

edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2019

I believe the board will only associate with a project if the board is showing issues from that project. That is the only way to associate. I tested on my instance and those are the results I see. I would double check to make sure that board is showing issues from that project if you want to associate it .

Like Rajaravikiran S likes this

Are you suggesting that a board will only show if it contains results from the Project?  I will give this a try, and see about including something from the Project on the board, along with all the other items from the other Project(s).

The scenario is this, our dev team as a project.  The Support team has a project.  There are times the support team needs assistance from the dev team, so they tag a story in their project to signal help is needed from the dev team.  We do not want to spawn a new story for the dev team, and support is still going to own the issues.

Thanks, I will give it a try.

edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 13, 2019

yes, let me know how it works for you. 

Ha Ha.  That solved it, although I think that logic is a little odd.

I edited my JQL to show Epics for the Dev Team project, and these would have no bearing or relevance with the Support team items, and that allowed the board to show. So even though the Epics do not show on the backlog, it does show all the Support issues.

Thank you for the help.

Eric Buerger November 3, 2020

Similar to Vance _Duke, I've created a board that references another Project's issues and had this same thing occur (except that I could see my board in the project drop down, but other project members couldn't see my board).

Unlike Vance, I already had the query including epics from the current project (yet this still wasn't working for them). If this happens to anyone else, it turns out that beyond creating the Filter for the board (under Configure Board), you need to go to "Shares" >> click on "Edit Filter Shares", and add your Project team as Editors or Viewers before they'll also be able to see the Board. 

Like Stacy Ross likes this
1 vote
André Neves January 26, 2021

In our case, the issue was that the project was of type "Business".

Once we changed it to type "Software", the project started displaying the board.

This was changed in Administration > Projects > MyProject > Details > Project type:editing project type.png

(The board only had issues of that project.)

Sahil Chaturvedi April 26, 2021

Our project is of type Software, but it's still not showing up on this list :( Any ideas @edwin vasquez 

Robert Oxford December 22, 2021

In Jira Software, I have found that, for a "Business" project, the boards created for the project do not show in the "Boards in this Project" list. In fact, there is no "Boards in this Project" list at all. You can still create boards by choosing "Boards -> View All Boards" and then choosing "Create Board" but the list of "Boards in this Project" does not exist. You have to know they are there.

Is this "By design" or is something not working properly?

Thanks.

Suggest an answer