Need walkthrough for creating individualized screens to match issue types

Jim Lynch July 22, 2013

Can someone give a step-by-step walkthrough for creating a customized screen for an issue type?

Let's say I want a minimum of fields displayed when a user logs, edits, views an Epic. But lots of fields displayed for logging, editing, viewing a Ticket.

What is the process for displaying different screens by issue type?

I can see that much of the info is discussed here: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/87637/mapping-unique-screens-to-each-required-issue-type-in-the-same-project but I can't quite figure out the order in which to do things.

Help me sort out the relationship between issues, screens, screen schemes, issue type screen schemes and projects. I really can't afford to break our existing projects, but I would like the flexibility of different screens by issue type for a new project we are initiating.

Thanks!!

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2013

Hey Jim,

Starting with screens, you can have different screens for an issue's:

1. Create

2. Edit

3. View

4. Transition

The best way to understand the relationship between screens, screen schemes and issue type screen schemes, is by creating a project where we use different screens.

Start by creating an blank project called "Screen Scheme Tutorial". Set up two different issue types to be used by the project. Let us assume you choose "Bug" and "Improvement".

How to setup issue types?

Go to "Administration", select "Issues" and click on "Issue Type Schemes". Create a new Issue Type Scheme by clicking on "Add Issue Type Scheme" and call it "SST Issue Type Scheme". Drag "Bug" and "Improvement" into the "Issue types for current scheme" option and if you prefer selecting a default issue type, select one. Then click "Save".

Now go to Project administration and select the project SST. Click on Issue Types and click on "Actions" and click "Use a different scheme" and select the new Issue Type Scheme you created. Your project will nowuse only issue types Bug and Improvement.

Moving to screens. We will setup a screen scheme that does the following:

When creating a bug, the reporter needs to only fill in a summary and description. When editing a bug, it should allow us to edit the Summary, Description, Assignee and Priority. When viewing, it should display symmary, description, assignee and priority.

When creating an Improvement, the reporter needs to fill in a summary, description, attachment and environment. When editing a Improvement, he can only edit the assignee and description. When viewing, he can see summary, description, attachment and environment.

Go to Administration, select Issues and click on Screens.

1. Click on Add Screen and create a screen called "SST Bug Create". Add the fields Summary and Description.

2. Click on Add Screen and create a screen called "SST Bug Edit". Add the fields Summary, Description, Assignee and Priority.

3. Click on Add Screen and create a screen called "SST Bug View". Add the fields Summary, Description, Assignee and Priority.

4. Click on Add Screen and create a screen called "SST Improvement Create". Add the fields Summary, Description, Attachment and Environment.

5. Click on Add Screen and create a screen called "SST Improvement Edit". Add the fields Description and Assignee.

6. Click on Add Screen and create a screen called "SST Improvement View". Add the fields Summary, Description, Attachment and Environment.

We now have the basic screens created. We will now associate when this screens will be used. For example, when creating a bug we would like to use the "SST Bug Create" screen. When editing an Improvement, we would like to use "SST Improvement Edit" screen.

Go to Administration and select Issues and select "Screen Schemes". Click on "Add Screen Scheme" and create one called "SST Bug Screen Scheme". Click on "Associate an Issue Operation with a Screen" and for "Create Issue", select "SST Bug Create" and click "Add". For "Edit Issue", select "SST Bug Edit" and for "View Issue", select "SST Bug View". Edit the "Default" view to "SST Bug View".

Repeat the same for Improvement. Click on "Add Screen Scheme" and create one called "SST Improvement Screen Scheme". Click on "Associate an Issue Operation with a Screen" and for "Create Issue", select "SST Improvement Create" and click "Add". For "Edit Issue", select "SST Improvement Edit" and for "View Issue", select "SST Improvement View". Edit the "Default" view to "SST Improvement View".

Now that we have mapped our screens to issue operations, we can now define which issue type uses which screen scheme. Go to "Administration", select "Issues" and click on "Issue Type Screen Schemes".

Click on "Add Issue Type Screen Scheme" and create one called "SST Issue Type Screen Scheme". Click on "Associate and Issue Type with a Screen Scheme" and for Issue Type "Bug", set it to "SST Bug Screen Scheme" and for "Improvement" select "SST Improvement Screen Scheme".

We have now defined issue type screen schemes. We need to associate this with our project. Go to project administration and select project SST. Click on "Screens" and click on "Actions" and select "Use a different scheme". Here select "SST issue type screen scheme" and click "Associate".

Now try creating a bug and improvement and see the results.

Hopw this helped you. Let me know if you need more information.

Cheers

Bhushan

Jim Lynch July 24, 2013

Thanks! Somehow I wasn't notified that you answered this. :( I worked through it some on my own.

Here was what I got:

1. Create a Screen. Name it as clearly as possible. (If it to be used for Change Request issue type only, name it Change Request Screen.) Add the fields you want and adjust their display order.

2. Create a Screen Scheme. Name it as clearly as possible. (“Change Request Screen Scheme”). Edit it to associate the Screen with it.

3. Create an Issue Type Screen Scheme (ITSS). (This is potentially going to reference multiple different screen schemes, so this might benefit from a name like Agile ITSS.) On creation set the Screen Scheme to Default. Then go back in and add screens for specific Issue Types.

4. Go to a project. Associate an ITSS with it.

Shujath Alam September 26, 2017

Bhushan and Jim

This was very useful !

- Shujath Alam

0 votes
Chasity Strause August 30, 2014

Thank you for this walk-through. It was so helpful.

Suggest an answer