Need to show/hide options in a select list based on the option selected in the Components field. Required for Jira 4.4.5

Harish August 9, 2012

We have a Jira project say "ABC". The project has many Components say ABC1, ABC2, ABC3.
Each Component has a Sub-Component say ABC1-1, ABC1-2, ABC2-1, ABC2-2, ABC2-3, ABC3-1.
The Components are tracked with the help of the system defined field - 'Components' .
To track the SubComponents we have created a custom field of type Multi Select list.
The requirement is to display only those options in the Sub Component field based on the value selected in the Component field.
Please let me know how can this be achieved using the Java script in the description of the SubComponent field.
How can hold the system define field - Components? Is this var Mod = document.getElementById('Components'); ok ??

3 answers

0 votes
srikanth Asoori maringanti November 26, 2012

How can I configure a default value in select list type custom field in jira 4.4.5.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2012

Rather than trying to mix with the builtin component field, directly use the Multi Level Select itself with the first level as Components name and the second level as sub-components.

Even with javascript involved, you will need the adminsitrator intervention to add options to the field. In that case you case you can directly use the Multi Level Select itself.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2012

Rather than trying to mix with the builtin component field, directly use the Multi Level Select itself with the first level as Components name and the second level as sub-components.

Even with javascript involved, you will need the adminsitrator intervention to add options to the field. In that case you case you can directly use the Multi Level Select itself.

Harish August 9, 2012

Hi Renjith,

Thanks for the quick response.

I can make use of a multi - level select list, but then the components will not be displayed in the Project Summary page and many other pages , if the system defined field is not used for components. And filtering by components would not be easy if it is a custom field.

Anyways thats a good option of using the Cascading Select list . I should create one and check if soves the purpose in all aspects.

Thanks,

Harish.

Suggest an answer