Need to restrict custom field to certain pages in specific projects - JIRA 6.0.5

Deb Endyke May 1, 2014

I have to create a required custom field to force developers to supply specific information before sending a ticket to code review. I want that field to be shown on only two transition screens, and I want to share those two transition screens across five projects. The field is not supposed to be accessible on a "create issue" screen. I had someone attempt to create an issue and he was not allowed to continue because Jira required him to fill in the custom field, which wasn't shown on the create issue screen. Is it possible to use required custom fields selectively on screens and across projects?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2014

No, but yes.

No, because Jira's "mandatory field" flag is quite simple - either a field MUST be filled in from the point of creation onwards, or not.

But, yes, because we do this with "validators". Go into your transitions where you've added the screens you mention and add validators that say "my field must be filled in". Users will be forced to add data before they can complete the transition.

Deb Endyke May 1, 2014

Nic, thank you for getting back to me. I assume I need to add a validator plug-in to do this? Do you have a recommendation?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2014

I'd use the "mandatory custom field" in the Jira Suite Utilities plugin.

Suggest an answer