Need to know how to setup JIRA/Confluence to limit user access

Ryan Bowermaster April 26, 2012

Hi there...

We have a situation where we are launching a Summer Internship Program and I need to make sure that when I create a JIRA project and Confluence Space for this initiative, that we limit user access accordingly.

We would want to allow all staff to view all projects and spaces but limit Interns to only their project queue and space...

I seem to be getting a little lost with the OnDemand setup and how I should go about doing this.

Can someone please provide Step-By-Step setup instructions for how we should approach this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
_zezo

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2012

Start with the standard docs

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Assigning+Space+Permissions

There are no "step by step" instructions because we don't know what you've set up already. But the general principles:

• Define global permission groups for "person can log in to this system" (e.g. jira-users and confluence-users)
  • NEVER use these groups for anything other than "can log in" (and maybe a couple of others like "can log issues in the Jira/confluence support project", but be careful before adding them)
  • Define permissions to allow everyone to do global stuff (all staff + interns)
  • Come up with a way to distinguish your "staff above interns" from "interns" by adding them to groups or roles, and then use those groups or roles in the permissions to grant them more access.
Ryan Bowermaster April 29, 2012
Got it, just wasn't clear on the hierarchy of the permissions system, think I've got it...thanks!
Tim H_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2016

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist], why the distinction between #2 and #3 above: one group for access and a separate group for global permissions?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2016

Do you want your interns to have bulk edit or create shared objects?  Sometimes it's fine, but if you separate it completely, you have full control

Suggest an answer