Need to know how to limit values in Add New Column drop-down list while Issue Navigator configure Columns

sarang saini February 10, 2014

Need to know how to limit Issue Navigator Columns while configure columns in issue navigator.
Need help to know how i can restrict that Add new column dropdown list specific to particular project so that i can see only fields related to that project in that dropdown list.

Like-- If i query "projectId = XYZ" then when i configure columns i am able to see only fields related to my permission and that project list mention in query.

It is very confusion to select column from that list right now as it is displaying all custom field that is not of my use or related to that query.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2014

You can't.

It's a bad idea too I'm afraid.

The whole point of the issue navigator is that it's flexible and fast. I wouldn't want to have to muck around re-adding columns because the last search removed them because I happened to include a project in the query.

Nor would I want to have to deal with the users asking "I wanted field X in my result, why isn't it in the drop-down - I don't CARE that my project is wrong, I am going to fix that later".

The navigator really *should* list all possible fields.

sarang saini February 12, 2014

Thanks for your response,

I understand it is an bad idea but currently it shows every field in the database that might cross 100+ and some users are concerned that they will not choose the correct field beacuse name of field name is similar. For example, there are 2 manager fields to choose from and 10+ fields with the word version in them.

So is there any way to restrict that list of fields like save the query as filter and after that only corresponding fields should be dispalyed according the saved filter query in Add new column dropdown.

This is the requirement from our important stack-holders and higher managment.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2014

If a user picks the wrong field, they should know straight away, because it will be empty, or even not appear for them at all. If they are worried about picking the wrong field, then it's likely that you have fields with very similar names doing the same thing, in which case you should really be sharing the fields, not creating new ones for different projects.

However, yes, you can save field layouts with filters. Once you define *and save* a filter that works the way you want, have a look to the top-right for the settings cog. One option in there will be "set column order" - if you use that, then you'll be able to choose fields *for this filter* and save it. When any user goes to that filter, they will see it with your saved fields, not their own settings (they can swap back to their own settings, but they can't change your filter settings)

Suggest an answer