• Community
  • Products
  • Jira
  • Questions
  • Need to generate report contains all the field values , change history and all the comments automatically after closing the issue

Need to generate report contains all the field values , change history and all the comments automatically after closing the issue

We need to generate report contains all the field values , change history and all the comments automatically after closing the issue. Could you please inform us how can we generate this report automatically ?

2 answers

0 votes

There's an obvious answer here - look at the issue you've just closed. The issue view contains all of that.

The question here is really what do you mean by "generate report"? What are you expecting to get out of Jira? (Yes, "all the data for the issue", but where? How?)

After click "Close" issue button a report ( contains all the field values , change history and all the comments ) need to be automatically generated and exported to local machine or emailed to particular mailgroup. Report can be Excel or Pdf format.

Ok, that's a perfect response to my question :-)

This is going to need some coding. My instinct would be to do it via email and put the code in a "post function" add-on which you can simply add to the "close" transition. I guess you could fire some form of "export to local machine", but you're then talking about users understanding the popups you'd get and remembering to save it all.

You'll have a bit of work to do on PDF or Excel I'm afraid.

Could you please suggest the code which we need to write regarding this purpose and how can we put the code into "close" transition's post function? I am not comfortable in coding. Could you please help me?

There's a lot of coding to be done here, I think you need to find a developer.

Before you do, I'd also rummage through the marketplace for plugins that might help you. I've not spotted one, although I'd take a look at JETI and possibly the script-runner

The bit around "write a post-function which sends email" isn't that hard (start at https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Creating+Workflow+ExtensionsOR use the script runner plugin), but getting "all the jira data and formatting it into a file to send as an email" could be quite complex, and probably needs someone who knows a bit about converting dynamic and fluid data into excel/pdf.

Could you please introduce us with a developer as we have no such developer who can develop Jira based code

I'd start at https://www.atlassian.com/resources/experts

(Usual disclaimer, I work for one of these people, so I'm not going to get into recommendations etc)

OK Nic ... I understand ..... If you found any code for this purpose please inform me ...

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,846 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot