Need to export from JIRA server at an external vendor site to internal JIRA Cloud

Dave White January 30, 2020

I need to export essentially 3 "projects" of data from a vendor's JIRA server site to an internal JIRA cloud site.   I've done some research on add-in products, but the rub is that our contract with this vendor is expiring and they don't want to invest money into an export tool.  Additionally, the free trial versions don't provide all the bells and whistles (templates, etc.) that the full paid versions do, and this vendor doesn't want to spend money on this since the contract is expiring.  

I have a little bit of experience (very little) with Python and have been researching writing a python script to pull out the JIRA issues along with the metadata (comments, attachments, transitions, etc.).    I would then need to import that data into a JIRA Cloud instance internally. 

Is there a good reference to setting up python to work with JIRA?  I have Visual Studio Code with python 3.6 installed.   However, developing is not my main function and it's been 2 months since I've done anything in it.  What libraries/add-ons would I need to download to be able to program python against the JIRA REST api's?   Also, is there a good RESTful API reference document with examples using python ?

0 answers

Suggest an answer