Need to disable the 'Cant Access your Account' link form the Jira login page.

Harish October 16, 2012

Hi Team,

We Need to disable the 'Cant Access your Account' link form the Jira login page.

We are using the Jira 4.4.5 version.

We have implemented the Jira - External user directory.

The User Directory type is ' Internal with LDAP Authentication'

The Mode i nthe General Configuration is set as 'Private' so as to disable the 'Signup' option ni the lOgin page.

Now we want to disable the 'Cant Access your account' link because it triggers a mail for Password Re-set.

A user should not be allowed for Password re-set through Jira. As is it handled by LDAP server.

Please advice.

Thanks,Harish.

7 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2012

Hi Harish,

Can you check if your "External User Management" is switched On. You can do this in the "General Configuration" page.

Harish October 16, 2012

Hi Bhushan,

I am addressing you as Bhushan instead of nbhushan, i guess i am right. Correct me if i am wrong.

Can we have any workaround to remove the 'Cant access your account' link form the login page.

May be we can remove it from the JSP page realted to the login page. If so please let me know the file name (.jsp or .xml ) which would contain the 'Cant access your account' link.

Thanks,

harish.

Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2012

Hi Harish,

You got my name right :)

Can you tell me exactly what you are trying to achieve in terms of user management?

Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2012

Is your primary concern of not allowing users to login to JIRA the amount of users that are going to count towards your license?

Harish October 16, 2012

Hi Bhushan,

We have implemented the User directory as "Internal with LDAP Authetication".

The users are created in Jira by the Admin using the LDAP user Id only.

So that the user creation is handled by Jira admin only and not allowing anyone to create an account.

Hence the Signup link in the login page has been disabled now.

We also want to remove the 'Cant access your account' link form the login page as this link leads to the Forget password and will trigger a mail to the user for password re-set. A user should not be allowed to re-set password form Jira because the user management is from LDAP.

And recently we tried making the 'External Management' as ON, but this has disabled the Add User button. The Add User button in required becuase the Jira admin will create the users.

Do not want anyone ( in the LDAP server) to be able to create accoutn with the first login. this may lead to any one having the access to Jira URL will be able to create an account.

And more over when the Jira Admin creates a user account , the admin can include the appropriate Group and Project role for that user.

Hope you understood the whole junk. :-)

Thanks,

harish

Harish October 16, 2012

Hi Bhushan,

1. yes counts towards the license.

2. Cannot track the user accounts - their Groups and Project Roles

3. Any one in the LDAP ( from the organization ) can lgoin to Jira or create account in Jira if they get access to the Jira URL.

4. Jira is used here only in one team ( may be 200+ users) and not the whole organization. Then any one other than those 200 teammembers will be able to create a user account in Jira, which is not required or recommended. Tracking will be difficult.

Thanks,

harish

Venu Madhav April 2, 2014

Hi Bhushan,

your are awesome yar.

Please let me know your email id for get in touch with you if I have any queries on JIRA.

my id: rvmadhav@gmail.com

0 votes
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2012

Hi Harish,

I actually created an FAQ article in regards to this issue. Please refer to it here:

The above FAQ article will allow you to hide it while disabling "External User Management". Hope the above information helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

Harish October 16, 2012

Hi Septa Cahyadiputra,

I have gone through the link you provided.

I am not sure of how to unzip and zip the file after editing.

I could locate the file - atlassian-bundled-plugins.zip

Unzipped it using $ unzip atlassian-bundled-plugins.zip

Then found the jira-gadgets-plugin-x.jar file, when treid to unzip this file.

$ unzip jira-gadgets-plugin-x.jar

The inflating is done but for few files it asks to Replace, ( All, Yes, No, None).

After the inflatting where do i need to search for the file /gadgets/login.xml ?

Then Once i edit the required file.

How can i zip the files back. i am not sure . Do i have to note all the inflatted files to be zipped back?

Please guide!

Thanks,

harish

Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2012

Hi Harish,

I'm not sure for LINUX, but for Windows here is the steps that I always do with WinRAR

1. Shutdown JIRA
  2. Find the JAR file
  3. Right Click the file and choose "Open With"
  4. Open the file using WinRAR
  5. Navigate to the the mentioned file trough WinRAR
  6. Double clicking the file should open the file on your text editor (If its the default software to open xml files)
  7. Modify it on your text editor
  8. Saved it, this will automatically rezipped the whole thing
  9. Start JIRA

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

Harish October 17, 2012

Hi Septa Chayadiputra,

I have tried the unzip and zip in Unix. However after replacing the modified .zip file unable to launch Jira. Jira startup error occured:

JIRA Startup Failed

You cannot access JIRA at present. Look at the table below to identify the reasons

Description

The following plugins are required by JIRA, but have not been started:

• Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.gadgets)

Please let me know how can this be resolved.

Thanks,

Harish.

Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 19, 2012

Hi Harish,

Sorry to hear that, there are multiple possibilities that a startup failed due to plugin failed initialization. However, if the only plugin that was failed to initiliazed was only Gadgets Plugin, then we can safely assume that the rezipping the file cause the issue.

To confirm this theory, please replace the modified file to the default (roll back) and see if the start-up still failed. If its successful, then we can safely assume your previous method does not work. When you re-zipped the jar file, may I know if you keep the file format to jar?

For your reference, you should be able to modify a jar file using this ConfluenceKB. Even though it is a Confluence KB, the steps should be the same. Please try this on your staging environment as it may need some trial and error, especially if you don't have experience in modifying jar file.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

0 votes
Harish October 16, 2012

Hi Bhushan,

You are awsome!

Its working. Thanks again. :-)

Harish.da.fb@gmail.com

0 votes
Harish October 16, 2012

You can change your comment to Answer.

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2012

Hi Harish,

Converted the comment to an answer.

Cheers

0 votes
Harish October 16, 2012

Please find the snapshot attched.

Suggest an answer