Need to create hierarchy in Jira Cloud (Epic, Feature, User Story, Task)

Nhajebi December 27, 2017

We are moving from Jira Server to Jira Hierarchy. Can I create multiple hierarchy in Jira Cloud (Epic, Feature, User Story, Task)?

Thanks,

Nazee

5 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2017

"Jira Hierarchy" is not a product, and doesn't mean much.

Looking at the title of the question, you're moving from Server to Cloud.  Neither of these support the four levels (Assuming you mean these will be nested).  Jira Core only really has Story/Issue and sub-tasks.  Jira Software layers Epics above Stories/Issues.

If you get Jira Portfolio for Cloud, you'll get themes and initiatives on top of Jira Software's Epics.

If you stick with Jira Server, you can use the Structure add-on to provide more layers (or Portfolio)

Thanks Nic for quick response.

0 votes
Paul Moody [Bauer Information Technology]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 31, 2018

Hi Nazee,

Please create an account using the below email. Please provide your Skype information in the message. This approach will hide your Skype details from the World.

https://bauer-it.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/4/user/login?destination=portal%2F4

Bye,

Paul

Nhajebi February 1, 2018

Thanks Monique I received your email. 

Paul - I emailed you from my company email address this afternoon. Let's take this communication offline. Thanks

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 2, 2018

No problem!

0 votes
Marketplace Partner
January 29, 2018

Hi Nazee,

Please login into the below url. Please provide your Skype information. This method will hide your Skype details from the World.

https://bauer-it.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/4/user/login?destination=portal%2F4

Bye,

Paul

Nhajebi January 29, 2018

Sorry Paul. I got an urgent emergency at work that I had to resolve. I tried your link and couldn't login with my Atlassian community login.

Can we reschedule this meeting for this afternoon around 3:30 or 4 pm PST? I have an urgent matter that I need to take care of at work.

Marketplace Partner
January 29, 2018

No problem. It happens to all of us.

We are somewhat booked. So, the next opportunity this week is Wednesday, 10:00 AM PST. Can you make it?

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 31, 2018

@Nhajebi and @Paul Moody [Bauer Information Technology], would you like me to connect you both via email?

Marketplace Partner
January 31, 2018

Hi Monque, 

Thanks, I think this would be great! We made 3 different attempts, but it just hasn't worked.

One question, doesn't Atlassian have a private messaging solution for members, like Facebook or LinkedIn has? This would make it easier to exchange private email addresses and telephone numbers. Actually, just a send and receive to transfer email addresses would also do.

Thanks again,

Paul

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 31, 2018

@Paul Moody [Bauer Information Technology], I sent Nazila your address since you gave me the go-ahead.

Currently no, there is no direct messaging feature. It is a possibility for the future, though!

Marketplace Partner
January 31, 2018

Thank you for your support!

0 votes
Marketplace Partner
January 23, 2018

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2018

@Paul Moody [Bauer Information Technology]- while this one is fine, please read the https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-articles/Atlassian-Community-guidelines-for-marketplace-vendors/ba-p/689723 before posting any more adverts.  Specifically the section on "spam"

Marketplace Partner
January 23, 2018

Sorry, I am a new. I have removed it. Thanks for the link!

Marketplace Partner
January 23, 2018

Since this did not show up in my name, [Bauer Information Technology] 

By the way Nic, how I formulated my answer was wrong, however, it is the only cloud solution that I know of for this problem. Can you recommend another solution? 

Nhajebi January 23, 2018

Should I read the article Paul provided? Is there any example or document that you can suggest to me that I can learn about adding nested hierarchy to Jira?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2018

@NhajebiYes, I think you should. 

@Paul Moody [Bauer Information Technology]- I didn't mean to suggest you should remove all of your posts! 

The spam system picks up repeated similar posts, and the community definitely prefers focussed relevant posts, on the more recent postings.  There's not a lot of point telling people about it on questions from 4 years ago, and "necroposting" can be very irritating.  It's similar to going to a shopping centre and getting asked 84 times if you'd like to change to Sky TV (worse when you already have it!)

But this add-on looks like it's coming soon, and could definitely be a possible solution on some of the questions.  This question, definitely!  I'd welcome you putting it back, so we have the link.

When the add-on is available, it is also worth asking for the rights to write "articles".  The community is encouraging add-on vendors to write these here.  In the past, a lot of vendors have relied on documentation to show people how to do things with their add-ons, but this tends to be dry and technical.  Humans prefer guides that help them with specific cases.  If you've got stuff on "how to use our add-on", "look, our add-on can do this, and this is how", articles are great.

Articles also help people like me be lazy.  Q: "How do I...", A: "Have you seen this article?" (instead of an essay answer)

Marketplace Partner
January 23, 2018

Hi Nic, 

No problem! OK, the link is back. And, this is the only post.

I did not interpret your response negatively. I read the link you provided on posting articles. And, I appreciated the advice you gave me. I removed all of my posts because they were all in violation of this document. Hey, if I don't listen, I will never learn!

Nhajebi January 30, 2018

I agree with Nic that it is good to provide the article or information "How to use our add-on" or a case study then having an article that it is dry and technical. Thanks

0 votes

Thanks Nic for quick response!

Suggest an answer