Need notification when a certain issue type is assigned to an EPIC

Aisha M November 4, 2019

Is it possible to be notified if a new RISK (issue type) has been assigned to an EPIC ? 

Like every watcher to an EPIC gets a notification 

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2019

Hello Aisha,

Thank you for reaching out.

There are two options you can choose to send notifications when a specific issue type is linked to an Epic:

1 - Create a filter Subscription

- Navigate to JIRA Settings > Issues > Custom fields > Create a select list called "Added to epic", with a single option: "Yes"

- Add the fields to your issues, instructing your users to update the field with "Yes" when adding the issue to an Epic

- Navigate to your issue navigator > on the advanced query, create and save the following filter:

"Epic Link" is not EMPTY and issuetype = risk and "added to epic" is empty and updated >= -30m

- Click on details > New subscription for the filter you created and configure the following subscription, selecting the users that you want to be notified and the period of the notifications:

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 12.04.31.png

This option will allow you to send notifications with a max delay of 30 minutes every time an issue type risk is added with a new Epic. The inconvenience with this option is: You will only be able to select specific groups to be notified, not watchers.

2 - Use an app to send the notification, like Automation for JIRA

- Navigate to JIRA Settings > Issues > Custom fields > Create a select list called "Added to epic", with a single option: "Yes"

- Add the fields to your issues, instructing your users to update the field with "Yes" when adding the issue to an Epic or configure a rule to update it

- Configure the following rule:

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 12.34.07.png

The conveniences with this option are:

1 - This option wil not cause any delay in the notification. It will be sent at the same time the issue is added to the Epic

2 - The notification will be sent to all the watchers of the Epic

Let me know if this information helps.

Aisha M November 6, 2019

@Petter Gonçalves  Thank you so much ! I will try this out :) Also, quick question, how do I configure a rule as mentioned in the second method ? 

Thank you !

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2019

Hello Aisha,

You are welcome!

The second option is provided by the Automation for JIRA app, which is a paid add-on you can install in your Server instance by clicking in that link. Once you install it, the menu to configure the rules would be under project settings > Project Automation.

Please, let me know if you still have any questions.

Suggest an answer