Need help with Jira error: "The operator '~' is not supported by the 'fixVersion' field"

Sharon Conger July 13, 2012

We use Jira v4.4.3. I need to run a report that lists all of my developers' tickets that are close/resolved for each month's releases. Our releases (fixVersion) seem to be configured as a string value in the database, because they're formatted like this: "1.34.0 (7/Jun/2012)". My challenge is that I have many projects (11) and many releases (up to 21 in all) within each month, so it takes me forever to type them all into one query. I'm currently running 11 filters, one for each project, and then combining the results in Excel which is just as time consuming. It sure would save me time if I could format ONE query that looks like this:

project in (BILLGTWY, CG, CI, FIN, GC, JCA, LSI, MCUP, PEM, SG, TE) AND fixVersion ~ "Jun" AND status in (Resolved, Closed)

but that gives me this error:

The operator '~' is not supported by the 'fixVersion' field.

Help? Why does the ~ operator not work for this field?

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2012

Seems you are looking for a regex search in the fixVersion field. As you correctly mentioned, ~ operator is not supported.

have a look at JQL Tricks Plugin. It has a method to search fixVersion using regex.

2 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2012
Another alternative would be to create a scripted custom field using the free Script runner plugin. The Groovy code behind the field would have to extract the month part of issue.getFixVersions() and return this. Then you could search for the month value in this scripted custom field. Though this solution requires some programming ...

Suggest an answer