Need help with Atlassian email handlers

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2013

Hi All.

As per the title I need help with Atlassian email handlers.

We mostly use the "Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue" but need the feature of "Add a comment before a specified marker or separator in the email body" to use the Regex to remove old email replies from comments via email?

So basically we need the functionality to create and comment via email to jira, but also need to strip out old email reply?

Is there any way?

This is the regex i'm using -

• Split Regex: /From: *|___.*|On .*wrote:|----Orig.*|On .*(JIRA).*/

Thanks In Advance

Warren

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dipti Ranjan Behera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2013

Hi Warren,

you can write custom email handler plugins. And you can use this logic of stripping there.

And again you can also do new add-on to the functionality , if you want.

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Plugin+Tutorial+-+Writing+a+Custom+Message+(Mail)+Handler+for+JIRA

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2013

Thank you, I will have a look into this option.

Dipti Ranjan Behera
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2013

Hi Warren,

This should help you a lot in writing the plugin :

https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/tutorial-jira-add-email-handler/src

1 vote
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2013

I think JEMH offers this functionality : https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.javahollic.jira.jemh-ui

I don't know if this is possible with the basic mail handlers.

Best regards,

Peter

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2013

This will not work for our company as we do not have budget for paid plugins.

0 votes
Nitram
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2013

Hi,

The following plugin

JIRA Advanced Mail Handler

which you can find from atlassian market place may help you, or other wise look into this link

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email

Hope this Helps!

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2013

Sorry Nitram...This option is too old and seems there is no support for this plugin, Thanks

Nitram
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2013

Have you looked into this one too https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email

check whether it helps u.

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2013

Hi Nitram, Sorry not helping...thanks

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2013

Its interesting, you seem to want a 'current' plugin, and support, but dont wan't to pay for it. Somethings got to give...

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2013

@Andy Brook,

"Something's got to give..." Yes, indeed, We would love you use JEMH...But in the company I work for we do not have budget for your "Paid" Plugin, So therefore I have to look for alternatives until such time.

I hope this clears things up between us. I still dont have a solution to removing images coming into to JIRA via email signitures such as your md5 method, but until I find a method which is free/not costly will just won't have such features.

There's a possibility I may have figured out a method to adding due dates via emails automatially, how ever I am still in testing.

So please understand why I have to look for alternatives.

Kind Regards,

Warren

Suggest an answer