• Community
  • Products
  • Jira
  • Questions
  • Need help setting up two Kanban boards for one project: One to manage backlog, and one to manage active development.

Need help setting up two Kanban boards for one project: One to manage backlog, and one to manage active development.

I am new to Jira and I need helping setting up a Kanban environment to manage (1) active development, and (2) backlogged issues.

I want to use Jira to track our software development project.

I have set up a project to track the issues.

I have two boards for the project, one to track active development, and one to manage the backlog.

To manage active development, I started with the default Kanban board and made the following changes:

-          Changed the statuses from the default “Backlog > Selected For Development > In Progress > Done” to “Backlog > Selected For Development > Design > Design Review > Dev > Dev Review > QA > UAT > Done”.

-          Removed status “Backlog” from the active development board because we do not want to see the long list of backlogged issues on the active development board.

To manage the backlogged issues, I created a second board called “Planning”, based on the default Kanban board, and made the following changes:

-          Changed the statuses from the default “Backlog > Selected For Development > In Progress > Done” to “Backlog > Selected For Development”.

“Selected For Development” is the common status on both boards.

This set up seems to work okay.  For example, when I move a backlogged issue on the Planning board from “Backlog” to “Selected For Development”, it will start appearing on the Development board.

Problem:

-          On the Planning board there is a “Release” button.  When I press this button, it will release issues in the “Selected For Development” status.  This doesn’t seem right.  Is this a bug?  Is there any way to remove the release button from the Planning board?

2 answers

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
2 votes

As JIRA uses the final column for the "definition of done" and your final column is "Selected for Development" when someone presses the release button it will mark those issues as released that are in that column. JIRA does not realise that this Kanban board is only part of your process. 

The good news is that the release button is only available to people who have project administrator permission so you can remove that permission and that will remove access. 

There is a change in permissions coming that will give you greater control over who can do what on a sprint. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/blog/2015/11/improvements-to-jira-software-sprint-management and https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/blog/2015/11/improvements-to-jira-software-sprint-management to keep an eye on when this is fully released.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

24,173 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you