Need help in find JIRA tickets with external reference

Pugazhenthi Thirukkami January 2, 2018

Hi,

I need help in finding out the JIRA tickets with external reference (Testrail) 

Issue:

We have JIRA tickets are mapped to corresponding test case in Testrail (we have integrated testrail in JIRA), Now we follow a criteria that if there are new issues we have to create a new test case correspondingly in testrail too and map the reference with JIRA ticket ID in testrail all works well and each JIRA ticket has listing the test added in testrail.

For tracking purpose we have to filter the JIRA tickets that are not linked/mapped to the corresponding test case in testrail, Need to know how to do that? We are planned to run those filter on weekly basis to track the JIRA tickets. 

Please let me know how to proceed with this or is there any answered topic please point me to that. 

Thanks in advance. 

5 answers

0 votes
Duane Herbert June 27, 2023

After a lot of back and forth with Testrail and searching through the Jira DB, it was settled that they do not in fact store ANY Testrail information in JIRA other than the TestRail instance URL.  Thus no plugin or tool could possibly query Jira tickets for Tesrail information.

The Panel in the Jira ticket is just a window that pulls info from testRail. 

They have now logged a Feature Request internally to support JIRA queries.

0 votes
Greg Bailey May 7, 2021

Hello,
I found this discussion as Im looking for the solution to this as well.
We have Jira Server which is integrated with testrail and we do use scriptrunner.

I've tried as many different variations on the use of the ' linkedIssuesOfRemote' I can think of and Im unable to get the returned issues I expect.

I have verified that the issues im trying to filter do contain linked testrail test case results specific to the issue but Im unable to get a working jql to find those issues.

Looking at the JSONs issues with linked testrail results I see nothing in the JSON referencing testrail so Im starting to think this won't work.

has anyone successfully used the ' linkedIssuesOfRemote' JQL function to filter Jira issues with linked test cases?  If so would you be able to share the JQL you found to work?  

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Rohit Gupta June 21, 2021

Hi Greg, I am trying to perform this only. Did you get any solution?

Duane Herbert June 22, 2023

Same issue, and I reported to Testrail as well.  There does not seem to be any reference in the Jiradb anywhere of a the testrail association.  the plugin seems to be getting it's info from Testrail directly, thus no local search in JIRA possible to show or filter tickets with associated TestRail content. 

The confusing thing here as that the Testrail data shown on Jira screen is not REALLY and external reference, thus no DB info to query against.

I hope others will help nudge Testrail team to enhance their integration?

0 votes
Valentin Dragin October 21, 2020
0 votes
Pugazhenthi Thirukkami January 3, 2018

We are not using Scriptrunner. Is there any solution without script runner?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2018

There are other add-ons that work with links, but this case is very specific and I don't know of one that quite meets it (ScriptRunner allows you to write code inside the application, so it can do it)

Pugazhenthi Thirukkami January 9, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Thanks for the reply can you please let me know the other add-ons that work with links.? 

we are on JIRA cloud server 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2018

Jira Suite Utilities, Misc Workflow Extensions and (possibly) Power Scripts

(I've not used that Power Scripts much, as I usually have access to ScriptRunner which is a lot more flexible, and I can't be bothered to learn yet another language)

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2018

Hello,

If you have Adaptivist Scriptrunner, you could use linkedIssuesOfRemote function. You can read more information here:

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/jql-functions.html#_remote_issue_links

Duane Herbert June 22, 2023

It seems Testrail is not adding entries as remote links, so the query does not work for TestRail links.

Suggest an answer