Need help configuring my Kanban board: How can I manage “trashed issues” (i.e. Issues that do not get released, but clog up the Kanban board)?

Deleted user January 26, 2016

I am new to Jira and I need help configuring a Kanban environment to deal with “trashed issues”.

Current Status:

• I use Jira to track our software development project.
  • I have set up a project to track the issues.
  • I have two Kanban boards for the project, one to track active development, and one to manage the backlog.
  • I have the following statuses set up: Backlog > Selected For Development > Design > Design Review > Dev > Dev Review > QA > UAT > Done.
  • “Done” issues get promoted to production and are removed from the board using the “Release” button.

Problem:

• How should we deal with “trashed” issues?  These are issues that get cancelled for various reasons, and we do not want to be Released.
  • Some ideas:
    • Create a custom status called “Trashed” with a “Done” issue category.  Then update the board filter to exclude “Trashed” issues from appearing on the board. 
    • Create a custom transition to the Done status, forcing the user to set the resolution to Resolved or Trashed.  Then update the board filter to exclude issues with a Resolution=Trashed.

Both of these options should allow trashed issues to fall off the board and not be released.

I would be grateful to hear other ideas.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2016

I would choose your second option of the transition to Done but with a few minor adjustments.

1. Name the transition "trash issue"
  2. Restrict who can make this transition using an appropriate condition. Role = Administrator for example
  3. Allow the transition to done be from ALL statuses rather than create individual ones.
  4. Set the resolution using a post-function to "Trashed"
  5. Also create a reverse route for when someone does it wrong to reset resolution to empty and place the issue back in a suitable stage of the process.
0 votes
Deleted user January 27, 2016

Thanks Phill!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events